Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to re-install W98?

I am using a Gateway 500, and it locks up about 50% of the time. The error messages include :
    PNCRT.DLL not found
    AOL setup.exe shortcut changed or moved
    Spycatcher protector could not load ( I tried to delete the program but this message keeps coming up)

Windows\ start menu\programs\startup\kak.hta

When starting there is a lot of humming inside the tower.

Should I re-install everything? A friend tried to load XP on his 98 system and it wouldn't do anything. So I re-installed 98 using the minimum repair files part. We got it back but lost everything else. I assume the drivers came with the original software. Thanks.

for windows 98 you need two disks. first is the regular install disk, second is the win 98 upgrade disk. windows 98 will not run correctly without the win 98 second edition upgrade. the reinstall disk will do just that. reformat your hard drive and partition and you WILL lose everything you have. Its just like starting out as a new install.

Comment

to remove spycatcher:
      Tenebril Support - How do I uninstall SpyCatcher?

pncrt.dll error:
      Error Message: A Required .DLL File, PNCRT.DLL, Was Not Found

you should run adaware and spybot on it:
      The home of Spybot-S&D!
      Ad-Aware 2007 Free - Lavasoft
      Ad-Aware 2007 - Reviews and free Ad-Aware 2007 downloads at Download.com

kak.hta problem:
      Wscript.KAKWorm or VBS_KAKWorm - Virus Removal Instructions - Kagou-Anti-Kro$oft

see if you have any viruses:
      Kaspersky Online Scanner

get some decent antivirus software:
      AVG Free Advisor - Installation files & documentation

also, sounds like a fan is going bad, and overheating your computer?

let us know how it goes...
      Try

Comment

AVAST antivirus is what I use and it's completely free. for home users they supply you with a one computer license. for anti ad stoppers I use aswclr.exe another product put out by AVAST. this also is completely free and traps 99% of spyware.

Comment

Since I got that KAK worm off and took the side panel off it hasn't hummed.

I tried to get Spy Bot on 2x before without success and went to spy Blaster. I tried Spy Bot again and this time it worked. There were only 20 entries which I deleted.

Lava-soft wouldn't work with W98.

I got Spy Blaster and spy catcher off the hard drive.

Still got that AOL searching though. Maybe I will re-install it, than try to delete it again. AOL is like a parasite you can't get rid of.

It still locks up but it seems to have doing it as much. Time will tell.

I had up to date AVG anti-virus installed, so I'm wondering why it didn't catch the KAK worm.

One other problem is that a contrast window keeps popping up 800x600.
          Hayzee, I put the original monitor back on and the contrast window stopped coming up.

One thing I forgot to mention is there is 53% resources free. Maybe that is why is is still crashing?
          Thanks.
          Last edited by ba_50; 03-17-2008, 06:36 AM. Reason: update

Comment

win 98 ran with ansi compatible programs. this includes a monitor that is vga compatible. I believe win 98 is a 32 bit program and when you get into windows ME, XP it's 64 bit. I don't think you can run more than an 800X600 screen resolution with win 98 - 256 colors

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
              AVAST antivirus is what I use and it's completely free. for home users they supply you with a one computer license. for anti ad stoppers I use aswclr.exe another product put out by AVAST. this also is completely free and traps 99% of spyware.
              I like that too:

Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition Download
              Try

Comment

Working...
              X
              =