Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Post and Beams

I'm hoping to install a deck at my place this summer, but I have a slight problem.

I have a 2' cantilever, just above a slider for my basement access, and I don't want a post in front of the slider.

So what I want to know is if something like this will work.

The tan is the beam placements.

Thanks!!

what is the span in feet of the long horizontal beams? do you intend to use a ledger board on the house foundation? how will you fasten the cross beams to the house? the way you have the picture your deck will be awfully wobbly.

Comment

Let's use this picture because I think it makes more sense.

The 2 tan beams will be 14ft apart and I was planning on having a ledger board against the foundation to attach any beams or joists that go against it. As for the red posts, I'd rather not have them, if at all possible.

Thanks.

Comment

If your attaching a ledger board against (and to) the house then you don't need the two red posts.
        The two beams (tan) will need to sit on the ledger or be attached to the ledger with Simpson hangers. as should the two outside rim/band boards (black).

I'm assuming that your floor joists will be on 16" centers so that makes it about (from the number of joists in your picture) 10'6" out from the home your beams (tan) will need to be min. 2x10" (I'd use 2x12").
        Your floor joists will be supported by the beams 14' apart so I'd go with 2x12" floor joists as well.

You could and it might be easier for you to put a 2 x 2x12" beams (or a single LVL) on the two black posts, a 2x10" ledger on the house and run 2x10 floor joists out from the house (sitting on the ledger or joists hangared) out to the 2x12" beams/LVL, this would enable you to run your decking boards parallel to he house and if you wanted it would also allow you to have up to a 24" overhang on the posts.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Pushkin,

THANK YOU!!! That was exactly what I wanted to know.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =