Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting bathroom

I'm installing a basement bathroom off of my main stack from the upstairs, into the floor drain line.Do I need to vent it?If so where do I tie into it?Can I vent off of the main horizontal line past the bathroom and tie back into the main vertical stack to vent back out through it?Is there a diagram I could follow?Do I need to vent each individual fixture? EG tub, sink toilet?If so can I vent them back into the main vertical stack?The concrete floor is opened so I have options.

Each fixture should be vented no more 3 ft away from that fixture.
    1 1/2 inch vent for tub and sinks and 2 inch vents for toilet.
    These can all tie together at a point above the highest fixture, usually the sink then this line called the vent stack, usually 3 inch can tie into an existing vent stack above all other fixtures in house in atic or brought out by itself.
    Gerry

Comment

Quote: "Each fixture should be vented no more 3 ft away from that fixture.
      1 1/2 inch vent for tub and sinks and 2 inch vents for toilet.
      These can all tie together at a point above the highest fixture, usually the sink then this line called the vent stack, usually 3 inch can tie into an existing vent stack above all other fixtures in house in atic or brought out by itself.
      Gerry"....

I am not meaning to sound argumentative but, absolutely none of the information presented here is true.

First of all, if that existing vent stack serves a watercloset (toilet) on the floor above no vent may be attached to that stack until the vent reaches an elevation at least 6" higher than the highest fixture served by that stack.

The maximum distance from the fixture to the vent is determined by the diameter of the line serving the fixture. depending upon which code you are under the lavatory could could be a short as 2'6" whereas the watercloset might not need a vent at all.

In regards to venting the International Residential Code takes some rather differing views from the Uniform Plumbing Code. In order to figure out your layout I would need to know whether your local code is modeled after the UPC or the IRC. In addition, I would need to see a basic floor plan of your proposed bathroom which shows the current location of the existing vertical stack and horizontal drain as well as the proposed location of your new fixtures.

If you could use your graphics program to make a simple floor plan or perhaps draw a plan on paper and scan it, you could then post it and I will be glad to work out the details for you.

Depending upon your layout it is quite possible that you will not be required to install any additional venting.
      Last edited by LazyPup; 03-22-2008, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =