Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Bryant Plus 80 furnace..

Hi all,

I have a 6-year old Bryant PLUS 80 furnace that has recently started to have some issues... My thermostat is set at 72 degrees but when the temperature in the house goes below that it reads "Heat On" but the furnace does not actually go on. The only way I've been able to fix this is to go downstairs and manually shut the furnace off and then turn it back on again, but that is only a temporary fix for about 24 hours.. The furnace will attempt to light (similar to a car trying to start on a dead battery) but then after a while nothing happens..

I called Bryant this a.m. and they said they can't offer any suggestions and I need to have a professional come out and take a look at it. I did some research yesterday on the internet and saw that others have had similar problems with Bryant but haven't seen any solutions to this yet (except to replace the furnace for ~$2500-$3000!!, which I'm not about to do on a 6-year old unit). I took off the heat sensor last night and cleaned it with some steel wool but that didn't do the trick. I changed the filter but that didn't do the trick either... Any ideas/suggestions on this??

It's getting cold here in Minnesota so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bryan

quote:Originally posted by BryanB

Hi all,

I have a 6-year old Bryant PLUS 80 furnace that has recently started to have some issues... My thermostat is set at 72 degrees but when the temperature in the house goes below that it reads "Heat On" but the furnace does not actually go on. The only way I've been able to fix this is to go downstairs and manually shut the furnace off and then turn it back on again, but that is only a temporary fix for about 24 hours.. The furnace will attempt to light (similar to a car trying to start on a dead battery) but then after a while nothing happens..

I called Bryant this a.m. and they said they can't offer any suggestions and I need to have a professional come out and take a look at it. I did some research yesterday on the internet and saw that others have had similar problems with Bryant but haven't seen any solutions to this yet (except to replace the furnace for ~$2500-$3000!!, which I'm not about to do on a 6-year old unit). I took off the heat sensor last night and cleaned it with some steel wool but that didn't do the trick. I changed the filter but that didn't do the trick either... Any ideas/suggestions on this??

Bryan

Does it have electronic ignition, or a pilot?

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Hey Joe,

It is an electronic ignition.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bryan

Comment

I have the same furnace and am running into the same problems. Woke up this morning and it was 53 deg. I have heard the same fix from a pro. He said if that didnt work to replace it. He said it was 12 bucks for the part. Let me know if you find a fix and I will do likewise.

chris

Comment

Hey Chris,

I might have figured out a simple solution to this.. I took off the heat sensor on the unit (again) - it's located by the far-left burner and scrubbed it with some steel wool. The first time I did it not much happened but for some reason this time it seems to have worked - we haven't had any problems with it (knock on wood) for about 3 weeks now..

Good luck..

Bryan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BryanB

Hi all,

Bryan
            These furnaces have a red flashing light on the circuit board. When the furnace stops, count the flashes through the sight glass on the door, read the fault code on the chart. This should give you an idea of what is going on. Some boards have bad solder joints, jiggling the wires or messing with furnace components can reboot the computer and cause it to run another cycle. Circuit boards are not field repairable and must be replaced. Shorting out components can cause the main gas to open at the wrong time and cause an explosion or worse. The best thing to do is read the fault code when it fails, and tell the repair man what you're getting. Sometimes it's just the board that's bad.

Comment

Checking the code is always the best place to start. The flame sensor that you cleaned is most likely the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =