Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber size availability?

Can anyone provide a link to what the different size lumbers are available? I'm looking for Pressure treated 4"x4"x24' and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Basically, I want to know if I'm looking for something that doesn't exist.

Thanks!!

I don't think you'll find a 24 foot 4X4 anyplace! Reason is at that length and being pressure treated, it's gonna twist and warp like crazy! Most common I've seen is 12, 10 and 8 foot.

Comment

I agree with hayZee, now 6x6's they come in 24'

There is very little structurally that will allow a 4x4 @24'

If you need 24' of 4x4 I assume it's for a horizontal placement then why don't you look at an LVL. It would be stronger and I'm thinking you could get it down to 6 x 1 1/2
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I finally found a place that can get them, but don't have a price yet. A local builder supply store said they can get any length from their supplier. They said the supplier is a local lumber yard.

What I'm planning on using them for are the skids for my shed. The 4x4s will go down 1st, on the gravel, then the floor will be built on top of them.

I know I can get away with shorter posts, but I'd don't like the idea of having to join them together. If the cost is prohibitive, I'll guess I'll be joining two 12 footers to get the 24 feet I need.

BTW, do they make an exterior approved LVL, that I might be able to use?

Thanks!!

Comment

Lumber...

Why not join 2x4's side-by-each that are that long?

Comment

even for shed skids I'd be a little leary using 24 foot 2X4's - now maybe a true "rough cut" 4X6 is a little more feasible. The poster says he has access to a sawmill.

Comment

Yep they sure do make pressure treated LVL's, but for what your describing an LVL would be an inappropriate thing to use.
              I agree with HayZee a 4x6" would be a much better size to use for a 24' shed.
              Or
              Like the captain suggested you could use 2x4 ACQ for example ---------2- 2x4x12' on each outside sandwiching 3 - 2x4 x 8' in the center all nailed or screwed together (that would be 7 pieces of lumber in total and it would in effect make a 4x6)

Comment

Well, the 24 footers are out of the question because I'm not going to pay what they're asking for.

I was now thinking of using joining 2 12 foot 4x4s to get 24 feet. Would there be any advantage in sandwiching 2x4s then lengthening them to 24 ft vs using the 12 foot 4x4s to get 24 feet?

BTW, here's an image of my skid placement.

Comment

There are a couple of advantages of the sandwiched 2x4's.

1. By sandwiching you can achieve a structural 24' length, sandwiching is a kind of laminating by having the joints offset to each other the loads are transfered much more effectively to the next piece.

2. by sandwiching the 2x4' you will in effect end up with a 4x6.

If you do sandwich then naturally the 2x4's must be installed side up.

How do you intend to join the 2 4x4's end to end, unless you use steel plates on either side and bolt them together, even then this method won't stop the 4x4's sagging at the joint over time.

Comment

That sketch is "Overkill" with a capital "O"

Comment

Originally posted by Hube View Post
                      That sketch is "Overkill" with a capital "O"
                      Are you saying I put to much detail in the sketch or my floor is overkill?

Comment

lol....your floor is over kill, one thing I can almost guarantee........it won't have any bounce....it will be like walking on concrete.

PS.....I gotta admit I like solid floors too.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
                          lol....your floor is over kill, one thing I can almost guarantee........it won't have any bounce....it will be like walking on concrete.

PS.....I gotta admit I like solid floors too.
                          Do you think it might be strong enough to park a compact tractor in there? I think the tractor, with the loader, weighs in around 3000 lbs.

Comment

Could it hold it ?.....yes, depending on the stability of the rock beneath it and the thickness of the sub floor, 3/4" might need to be upgraded to 1 1/4".
                            I'd put down a foot of rock and set it in (wacka pack it) before setting the skids.

If your going to park a 3000 pound tractor in there you might want to rethink but joining 4x4's @ 3000 lbs this will put a lot of stress on the joint.

If it were me I'd try to work out where the weight will be the most (tire lines) and I'd be making sure that I had bearers right under this area

Comment

Originally, I wasn't going to park the tractor in there, but after hearing it's "O"verkill, I'm now thinking of adding another skid and doubling up the plywood floor so I can use it, if need be.

My CFO, would love to see the new Kioti get parked under roof. Me, I's just store it outside under a tarp, but she's really into keeping anything out of the weather, if at all possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =