Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washer / gas dryer electrical requirement

Iwant to install a washer and gas dryer.
    My question is, do I need a designated circuit?
    If so do I need a designated circuit for both, or can I run them both off of the same outlet?
    Do I use 12-2 or 14-2...15 amp or 20amp?

you can run both off a dedicated 20 amp, #12 awg
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Thanks

Thanks...saved me a head ache.
      Not beer thirty...half past draft

Comment

I typicaly run a 12-3 and use two seperate receptacles

Comment

spotty - the 12/3 with a common neutral is ok as long as your breaker feeding the receptacles is a two pole common trip. Two single pole breakers would not do as when you kill one circuit the other is still hot!

Comment

Yes I know, I am a journeyman electrian, I guess I should have stated that in how I would install it. Sometimes I think people just know but thats not always the case. Sorry for my unclarity. At least these two outlets don't have to be GFI or AFCI protected, But do they have to tamperproof....probally I believe all 15 and 20 recepticles are supposed to be.

Comment

what do you mean "tamperproof?"

Comment

2008 NEC article 406.11 Tamper resistant recepticles in dwelling units. In all areas specified in 210.52, all 125 volt 15,and 20 amp receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant recepticales.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty View Post
                  I typicaly run a 12-3 and use two seperate receptacles
                  May I ask why? Both a washer and gas dryer are perfectly fine on a shared 20A circuit.

At least these two outlets don't have to be GFI or AFCI protected,
                  They absolutely DO need GFI protection IF they are within 6' of a laundry sink.

Tamper-proof ONLY applies to areas who have adopted the 2008 NEC with no amendments for that section.
                  NOT nearly every place has.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                    May I ask why? Both a washer and gas dryer are perfectly fine on a shared 20A circuit.
                    It's the way the contractor I worked did things now it's just habbit

Comment

how many people have a wet sink within six ft of the outlet, and a motor on a gfi circuit can become a nuciance trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                        Tamper-proof ONLY applies to areas who have adopted the 2008 NEC with no amendments for that section.
                        NOT nearly every place has.
                        Might as well adopt to the code. It probally won't go into full affect until next code cycle but it's in there, and supply houses are already stocking them.

Comment

Might as well adopt to the code. It probally won't go into full affect until next code cycle but it's in there, and supply houses are already stocking them.
                          NOT mine.
                          If my customers want them I'll certainly install them, but they'll pay for it. It's for damn certain I will not bid them into a job. Wanna know why??? Because NO ONE else around here is either.
                          Same goes for AFCIs all over. My area does not require them so they don't go in unless I am asked to.

I DO NOT buy into the theory that "Well, it'll be code eventually so why not do it." mentality.

Comment

how many people have a wet sink within six ft of the outlet,
                            Ummm, a lot! I have a laundry sink RIGHT next to my washer.

I suggest you read 210.8(A)(7).
                            In fact I'll post it for you:

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel

(A) Dwelling Units
                            All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

NO ifs ands buts OR exceptions. GFI protection IS required even if the receptacle is behind the washer or dryer.

and a motor on a gfi circuit can become a nuciance trip.
                            So what.

Comment

You guys may want to point out to people who are not familar with electricity that you can run 2 seperate circuits on a 12/3 with ground but that you need to make sure that you dont connect to the same phase since your neutral wire sees the current from a unbalanced circuit. If you connect your hot wires to the same phase the neutral wire will carry the the current that the 2 hot wires are carrying and if you lose the neutral wire it turns a parallel circuit into a series circuit and can smoke appliances that are being used on that circuit.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =