Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor Vented Kerosene Heater

Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    468 Posts
    another way is to use a length of pvc pipe coupled to a flexible vinyl tubing or see through hose. cut the length of the tubing so it extends all the way to the bottom of the bulk tank and start a siphon. hold the end of the tubing LOWER than the highest point of fuel in the tank and drain it into a bucket. then transfer this fuel/water to a clear large jar and you'll see the fuel floating on top of the water. pour the fuel back into the tank minus the water.

Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Monitor 441

I'm glad to have found this forum.Problems with the 441 have been mostly around water contamination of the kerosene..cause is still unclear,but I went as far as to replace our 275 gal tank this past summer with a new one,and fresh dyed kero.I'm using type a 1A cellulose filter beteween the tank and heater,and Super Heat fuel additive.Having changed several filters,and cleened the fuel screen of the heater,I've yet to solve the problem of it sooting.Ive recently cleaned out the burner pot,and used a 1/2" twist wire bush to loosen deposits on the burner.I have not yet removed the burner assembly,but vacuumed out instead.
    Present problem is very low flame in the burner on start up,resulting in shut down,and flashing flame indicator.I suspect a partially clogged fuel tube....although the heater seemed to be working fine after my last cleaning.Could the flame sensor be out of position to cause this?...

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    468 Posts
    heavy sooting is a result of not enough air getting to the burner pot. if your combustion blower sounds like a jet engine winding up, then change the bearings in the motor. bearings are type 608Z same kind used in inline skates. if the flame level is very low then the gas between the flame rod and case can't ionize and therefore the flame rod circuitry will shut down the burner and flash your burner lights. when your unit is cool, remove the fuel line from the solenoid pump and combustion pot and run a bare twisted four foot length of telephone wire through it. any carbon build up should be knocked loose.

Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ...only after reading about the flame sensor,did I get to the bottom of the combustion chamber assembly.There I foung a huge carbon deposit encompassing both the fuel nozzle and igniter base.After chipping away at it,I could determine the outline of the fuel nozzle.It took me the better part of 2-3 hrs just to chip/vacuum/chip at the carbon deposit,which was apparently resticting both fuel and airflow through the combustion chamber.I did'nt dare try to remove the fuel delivery line,but rather ran a piece of 0.020 spring wire through it until it cleared.Don't know how effective my fix will be long term,but the 441 is back up and working better than I've seen it in a long while.
    Thanks to everyone for there input,and experience.This forum is just terrific!
    Last edited by IndnChief; 01-30-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: misspelled

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    468 Posts
    I'm very glad this forum and especially the monitor heating section is of some help to you. Input from many people with monitors is very helpful. I only took an interest in it because the local service person charges $125 an hour for service plus parts. One of these days I'm gonna go through the flow diagram troubleshooting page(s) and clarify what's in there. the pdf type is soo small and difficult to read. Other than that I'll help with what I can. I put a reference to home repair forum on that Bob Vila site that deals with monitor heaters.

Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ...I totally agree.After spending around $10 for a fuel screen gasket,I went to McMaster-Carr and ordered sheet BUNA rubber and cut my own...now IF the folks at Monitor actually took an interest in what owners are concerned about,they'd probably sell a lot more heaters,and have a support base among their product owners...

Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

broken flame detector rod

...well,in replacing the gasket of the front cover,I broke the damn flame detector rod.Is there an alternative to a new #6355 from Monitor?

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    468 Posts
    No there isn't

Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I looked at the jimmyj55.com link...did'nt see what I need beyond the gasket.Do you have an idea of what the flame detector rod costs?..It's probaly an indidual item,but I wonder if it's sold in kit form?....
    Thanks again,Gary

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    468 Posts
    check out this monitor distributor. they can get monitor parts as they service monitor, rinnai and toyostove.
    Keeseville Location
    1698 Front Street
    Keeseville, NY 12944
    518-834-9790 map
    they are adirondack hardware

Thread Information