Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed Pad Stone??

I need stone for a shed pad. The shed's fairly large (13x24) and I was told to use #57 or #67 stone. Well, I just got off the phone with the local quarry and they don't have either. They only have #7.

Will #7 stone be good for a shed pad? Personally, I like the idea of using smaller stone because I feel it will be easier on my feet.

Thanks!!

Drainage gavel would work just fine and be much cheaper. The places your walking you could use a smaller rounder gravel.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      Drainage gavel would work just fine and be much cheaper. The places your walking you could use a smaller rounder gravel.
      What is drainage gravel? Are they an inch or larger or are they like a 1/4 inch?

BTW, I went to look at the stone yesterday. I think I'm going to have them deliver the a mix of 57 and 7 stone.

Comment

You may want to consider placing soil fabric, similar as to what is used under some roadbeds, down prior to placing your rock. The fabric will allow for drainage (inside your shed not sure if that will be a need/problem..?) while preventing the soil from pumping back into and contaminating your rock.

Comment

Originally posted by sturdavj View Post
          You may want to consider placing soil fabric, similar as to what is used under some roadbeds, down prior to placing your rock. The fabric will allow for drainage (inside your shed not sure if that will be a need/problem..?) while preventing the soil from pumping back into and contaminating your rock.
          That's a great idea. Now might a vapor barrier be even better?

Comment

A soil barrier is your objective.

If by a vapor barrier you mean a plastic type membrane (Visqueen is one brand type) they tend to lift through the rock becoming more of a problem than a benefit. Also they can trap moisture leading to a problem with dampness inside your shed.

Soil fabric in the way it is woven is actual porous allowing for movement of moisture thorough the rock and into the ground while at the same keeping the rock separate from the dirt. Also because of the weight the fabric tends not to left as easy, in any case be sure to place enough ( minimum 3 to 3 1/2 inches) rock over the top to weigh it down. You might want to check with a local contractor given the size of your shed a remnant size piece would do the job, good luck.

Not sure of your location, but in Oregon because of our rain fall everything we do is based on the elimination of moisture, this equates to mud which can swallow a yard of rock in about six months of heavy use/traffic.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =