Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water getting in Garage Door

I built a garage 2 years ago and the slab floor is 3 inches above grade.
    On the side faceing the house is the side door on the eve side of garage.
    I had 1 inch stone dumped along this side of the garage about 3 feet deep and 18 inches wide to handle water coming off roof also a perferated pipe in the bottom of this ditch going to low section of yard.
    The winter of 06/07 we did not have too much snow so the build up of ice in front of door was not a problem but this past year with over 13 ft. and temps down below freezing at night and warm enough to melt during the day, the ice just built up and upon thawing water was flowing in through door.
    I didn't think the stone would freeze to hold water.
    Is there some sot of outside drain, that will not freeze, that I can put here to make sure the thaw water will not go in the door.
    Gerry

Are you sure there is enough grade in the "ditch" to take the water away quickly enough? Is 3 feet depth below your frost line ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

There is a 1/4 to the foot pitch to the pipe and I dug out end of pipe last week and water was dribbling out of it but a small 6 inch deep impression in the stones, while digging a 5 foot snow banking out of the way to devert the melt water still had standing water in it.
      So by your questions, I assume that 1" stone will freeze just like earth does.
      Frost line for this area is 2 ft Max unless your running a car over it. In fact once I got under the snow bank to make my run off ditch I had to be carefull not to dig up the earth because it was not frozen at all.
      Thinking about a 4 inch PVC, sunk vertically down to the drainage pipe and putting a floor drain on this as a cover and see if this works.
      Think so???
      Gerry

Comment

Yes 1" stones are fairly small for drainage purposes, a surface drain connected directly to the drain at the bottom of the trench would help immensely. If your perforated drain is below the frost line and doesn't freeze then allowing surface water directly into this pipe would be the easiest option.
        Drainage gravel would also help greatly, it's the same size as leach field gravel.

There is no snow where I live but at times huge downpours of rain. I have a couple of drain pits connected to my drain lines to take the surface water.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =