Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old deck needs to be refinished-Need advice

My deck is probably 10 years old and last year the wife had the idea to restain (after powerwashing).while i was out of town The problem is she used a semi transparent stain and the color is uneven and pulling up in some areas.

I was told to wash it all down with deck wash and power washer and then cover with a solid stain.( or prime and paint)

Will this solid stain cover all of the inequities in the current color and hold over time?

I need to address this and need some advice.

The secret with what your doing is to power wash the deck with a good cleaner then wait until it is completely dry, this may mean anything from a couple of days to a week. When any part of the wood remains damp/wet the stains/ sealers penetrate at different levels and hold the wood fibers differently. So make sure the deck is dry before applying sealers/stains.

Yes if you use a solid stain it should cover problem areas, always remeber though a stain is just that, it stains and to do that it is absorbed by the wood, different woods will absorb differently just like knots won't absorb as well as other places on a plank.
    Priming and painting will most definitley cover the problems, but my advise is to try stain first.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

some advice

the semi transparent has been on there for a year so you are ok to cover with a solid. However, I do not recommend using a pressure washer for one big reason. If you pressure wash you will loosen wood fibers to when you apply a solid color stain you run the risk of it peeling. Easy answer, use a good quality deck cleaner and rinse with garden hose, allow to dry for 3 days is a good idea then stain. Most solid stains on the market will require a primer. There are a few out there that will not, they will be self-priming such as the Olympic DFS Maximum. I advise using one that is 100% acrylic latex this will allow the stain to expand and contract with temperature. Use two coats and you will be set.
      Solid color is great for an older deck to cover up an aging deck.

Comment

Thanks for the responses!
        My wife had hit the deck with a power washer in a 10 x10' area awhile back and it kinda fuzzed up the wood. I assume i will need to sand this smooth first and then follow your other instructions.

Is my assumption correct?

Comment

deck construction

hi, i am new here.

Comment

decks

you will really need assistance from professionals. deck construction requires a lot of work. hire someone who is well-trained to do the job for you.

Comment

no sanding needed

jsouth

fuzz will go away over just a short time. Sanding i not needed

Comment

Working...
              X
              =