Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covering asbestos with ceramic tile, or ?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering asbestos with ceramic tile, or ?

Hi everybody,

I will really appreciate any feedback I can get on this:
    I pulled up the nasty carpet in my concrete+cinderblock duplex. Underneath, I found more of the horrible vinyl (or asbestos?) tile that is in the rest of the place, covered in yellow glue. Underneath the vinyl is just blackened concrete and a contractor friend told me it looks like there is asbestos. So, I need to cover this up again. I was hoping to just seal it with polyeurethane or some other kind of sealant. Any tips on that?
    OR, I am considering doing ceramic tile, because I have found some bargains on craigslist. I have done a tiling project before (in a bathroom over plywood), but I don't know how it would work here with the old adhesive being on top of the asbestos tiles. Would I have to lay down a thin sheet of plywood or some kind of paper? Moisture barrier? Is this a much bigger hassle than the alternative? Putting in another carpet would be my LAST resort.
    p.s. the area is 10' x 10'

Thanks a lot,
    A
    Last edited by scrapmaker; 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM. Reason: add info

before you go condemning a project take a sample of what you think is asbestos to a testing facility. soak it with water and a kitchen detergent. place it in a plastic bag and seal it. IF you find out it is asbestos, THEN think about encapsulation or an abatement project. merely covering the stuff with plywood would create problems IF the stuff started to turn into a talc or powder which would go into the house's atmosphere. Encapsulation products are sticky and remain sticky even when cured to trap ANY friable fibers.

Comment

Since you have already pulled up the carpet to reveal what might be asbestos, you really need to get that substance checked out. You can try a do-it-yourself kit, like one from Pro-Lab. I haven't tried it, but they seem to have all the right certifications (like ASHI American Society of Home Inspectors and NEHA National Environmental Health Association). But personally, I would go with a professional licensed home inspector to check out your situation. According to Accurate Inspections, tiny particulate fibers of asbestos can float through the air and lodge themselves into furniture or carpeting. That is pretty scary. This is a carcinogenic we're talking about here that kills tens of thousands of people in the United States each year. In any case, if it is actually asbestos you're talking about here, then I would definitely recommend taking all the necessary precautions for you and your family and make plans to have it professionally removed -- don't do it yourself. It's a very complicated procedure that requires sealing off the area that has asbestos and then making it "pressure negative" so that particles will not be floating around.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =