Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux based OS

Is there any advantage to use the LINUX operating system? Microsoft says it has plans to remove Windows XP off dealer shelves by June 30th 2008. New computers are bundled with windows Vista now. I read that the commands for linux are very different than msdos based programs. Their operating code is freely available online. They say that linux is presently the base for many video games. What about compatibility with windows programs? Excel spreadsheets, word processors, finance tools etc. MAC computers is unique in that its OS is completely different than an msdos based program. Will Linux be just as complicated?

There is a learning curve, but there are lots of advantages to moving to linux. You don't have the same vulnerabilities to viruses, and the newer linux distributions are much more friendly to novices.

Check out redhat, suse, linspire for a user friendly user experience.

I too am looking for an alternative to vista!!

Comment

Vista

I guess my question would be is there something wrong with Vista? I take it your thinking of buying a new computer? I use Vista on all my machines it needs a little tweaking but everyone that I know that uses it likes it better than XP. You will find that everyone is different. A lot of the posts on the internet are old and unreliable so be sure to look at the date when reading about Vista. Its like going back to 2000 and reading about XP.

Linux has an open source office suite that will do excel and word documents. I haven't see any financial stuff thats worth anything (guess thats why its free). Linux is free but software can be difficult to find and install. I used Ubuntu and its pretty nice but not my cup of tee, I didn't want to learn how to compile code just to install a program.

One more thing even if MS takes XP off the shelfs your computer will continue to function. XP has a ton of security flaws and thats part of the reason MS wants people to upgrade.

Comment

Microsoft has been exploited ever since it came to pass. I just got to master win 98 when win xp came out. now that I got this thing just about down pat - they're pushing vista. I looked into vista and can't stand it just like internet explorer 7. take 'em both and start a campfire with them. If I like coors why would I want to switch to budwieser?

Comment

Vista

Well I guess if thats how you feel then you really only have two options stick with XP or switch to Linux. I don't really feel the Vista push is any different then the XP push its the nature of the beast. I don't think you will be happy with Linux so I would just stick with XP if I were you.

Comment

Microsoft is an easy target, but without Bill Gates, the computer world as we know doesnt exist.

I have one Linux box connected to my home network. It's very stable but can be very frustrating installing new hardware and software. It isn't as plug and play as sayyyyyy... Microsoft XP.

I have one Vista laptop and 5 xp machines. A Lot of the software and hardware I bought for the xp's just isn't supported by Vista (all from HP not surprisingly). The Linux box allowed me to keep my scanner and photo printer, but hunting down compatible software was frustrating. But damned if I was throwing out a perfectly good 6 month old scanner and $400 (at the time of purchase) photo printer.

there will never ever be anything Apple in my house. IDontPod

Comment

I know this thread is kind of old, but I'll throw my 2 cents in there anyway ...

Linux is an alternative to Windows and Apple operating systems. Just like the other operating systems, you need to learn how to use it. It's about as different Windows as Apple's OS is.

Just because it's free doesn't mean it's sub par. It's built by a huge community that believes in information freedom. (The type of freedom where each person wants to share their ideas, not the type that steals software, music, etc. just because they can.) Open source has come out with some great software, and you can find an alternative to most software for Windows on Linux. For instance, and just to name a few:
              * Microsoft Office vs. OpenOffice.org
              * Adobe PhotoShop vs. The Gimp
              * Windows Media Player vs. VLC
              * Internet Explorer vs. Firefox
              * Quicken vs. GNUCash
              * Outlook vs. Thunderbird
              * Nero vs. K3b
              These are just to name an extreme few. There are literally thousands of different programs freely available, most of which are of very high quality.

It's typically not difficult to install the software these days, either. Most of the major Linux distributions have package managers that handle everything for you. You don't need to manually download anything, and you don't need to have stacks of CDs with all your programs on them.

If you are interested in trying it, you can download an Ubuntu LiveCD from Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu. You can boot your computer with the CD, and see what Linux looks like without touching your hard drive.

What you need to do after that is determine if Linux is right for you. Ask yourself "Will Linux do what *I* need to do?" If it will, give it a run. If it won't, stick with Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                Is there any advantage to use the LINUX operating system? Microsoft says it has plans to remove Windows XP off dealer shelves by June 30th 2008. New computers are bundled with windows Vista now. I read that the commands for linux are very different than msdos based programs. Their operating code is freely available online. They say that linux is presently the base for many video games. What about compatibility with windows programs? Excel spreadsheets, word processors, finance tools etc. MAC computers is unique in that its OS is completely different than an msdos based program. Will Linux be just as complicated?
                well it all depends on what you want to do and what kind of hardware you have.
                now i will say the BASH shell is pretty different then MS-DOS so if your big on shell commands and scripts you'll probably have to learn a new scripting language.
                personally i find that linux is more secure in nature.
                probably one of the most popular distros of linux, Ubuntu comes with an office suite called open office, but if that isn't good enough for you you can run an emulation environment called WINE (btw just about anything for linux is free) anyway WINE lets you run windows programs in linux
                the way linux writes to the file system, you never need to defragment.

i myself have both windows vista and ubuntu 9.04 dual booted on my main computer. and will say at first it is culture shock, but once you play with it, the GUI is very minuverable, i find more so then windows

Comment

For those who would like to test the waters, there is "WUBI," a simple tool for installing UBUNTU as an alternative OS to your operating system. Yes, it requires some disk space; but it is a good way to explore Linux and to get started with it. From installation perspective, it acts like an application; it is therefore, very easy to uninstall.

Comment

An alternative to outlook is Evolution that can download your gmail messages and synch with your calendars. GnuCash is an excellent application for personal finances; but its multiple entry accounting approach may be overwhelming to those who are not familiar with this method. An alternative for this would be YNAB 3 (they should be out of beta shortly), an application designed around personal budgeting. Since it is based on Adobe AIR, it is portable and easy to install to linux systems.

Comment

There is pretty much everything you can think of for Linux. No matter your profession or need for a computer you can find an open source app for what you need to do. My only reason why I have to have a "MICROSFOT" separate install is for work using VPN into AD network. If it was not for that, there would be no need for windows.

I am not a fan of any Microsoft app or OS. I just recently installed Windows 7 ultimate on my laptop to test it as I am MSDN..... And, to be perfectly honest, I am rather impressed. It's probably the smoothest running OS I have seen MS put out. I am running the 64 bit version.

I had a few minor complications with my linksys router, but like I said, they were minor, and was connected to my network in under 10 minutes.

Do not be afraid of linux. You do not have to deal with the command as everything is GUI now and looks and feels very similar to windows.

Comment

Here are what to expect when migrating to a distribution like Ubuntu or you just want to give Linux a try.

1. Linux is not Windows.
                        Things you do most of the time is perceived easy while new stuff always require some time.
                        Linux is generally not for the faint of heart.
                        Linux is not meant to be like Windows but many want it to be like one (appearance and typical navigation)

2. Most users of Linux are generous
                        experienced users will most likely give help when you run into problems but forget about the client-support relationship which usually ends up with the client demanding and shouting over support.

3. Goal
                        Linux is not meant to entice or please you.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =