Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending a deck

Hello,
    I have a deck, currently 8ft off the group. It is attached to the house.
    It extends about 5ft from the house, and is about 15th long. There are 2 concrete support columns on the front edge of the deck about 5 feet apart.
    Basically I wanted to extend the deck out another 2 feet past these columns. My question is, will I have to add 2 more columns in the ground, or can I extend 2 feet without and issue? Also, if I can extend 2 feet without issue, how can I do that? Just extend the joists by attaching new joists to the side of old joists? Thank you.
    Last edited by mindless06795; 04-25-2008, 10:01 AM. Reason: change

I imagine your existing deck has 2X8 frameing under the decking and I think the 2 foot canterlevered over hang would not be a problem.
    I would use 8 foot long stock for this new floor joist and Bolt, not nail, each one no fewer then 4 times useing 5/8 or larger, Galvanized bolts & nuts with large washers.
    Gerry

Comment

expenses

how much did it cost you?

Comment

I find your question odd, because I never had one built but I have built one for others and depending on cost of materials in your area the cost could vary.
        Figure cost of each floor joists, 1 new one for every old one.
        Plus this amount, times 4 for the amount of 5/8X4 inch galvanized bolts with 2 washers and a nut for each bolt.
        Plus the cost of material for the end cap which should be doubled up or you may be able to use the existing one you have to take off anyway.
        Plus the cost of the decking to cover 2 foot extended part of deck.
        Plus deck screws or #8 galvanized nails to hold decking down.
        Plus stock for new railings.
        Cost of railing will vary with style of railing you put up.
        There you got a materials list...go to it.
        Gerry the canoebuilder

Comment

Working...
        X
        =