Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple outlets on switch loop

A couple questions about a switch loop. Is it possible to control multiple outlets via switch loop? And can both outlets also be protected by a single GFCI.

Power
    Source _____ A ____ Outlet 1 __________ Outlet 2 _____ B _______ Switch ( Loop )

Can the switch control both outlets?
    Can the circuit be protected by a single GFCI.
    If so would it would it be placed in the circuit: Point A or Point B.

Thanks
    Last edited by B Johnson; 04-29-2008, 11:17 PM.

any number of outlets can be switched. the downstream outlets are parallel wired to the switch loop. if this is a dedicated circuit, instead of using individual gfci receptacles I'd opt to use a gfci breaker to feed the whole loop. you can use a standard 120 feed to the switch. its output would go to the first outlet input then any outlets downstream of this would use a standard outlet wired to the parallel output of the first gfci.

Comment

switch loop & gfci

look at this diagram - should answer your question.

Comment

The ONLY way this can work is with a "3-wire" (12/3, 14/3) between receptacle 1 & 2, BUT there is NO way to GFI protect both receptacles.
        OK, actually one way. You would need "4-wire" (12/4, 14/4) between the receptacles, but this gets tricky, and good luck trying to find a place that will cut 4-wire. GFI's are cheap anyway.

Do it with a 3-wire in between the use a GFI receptacle at each location wired to LINE side.

Comment

speedy is he wanting to split wire a receptacle? then I can see the three wire otherwise a two wire will do. take a look at my diagram. the downstream outlets would be protected off #1 gfi

Comment

The OP is showing the switch at the end of the run, not at the beginning. Speedy is correct, **/3 cable will be necessary between outlets 1 and 2.

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I'm working with a similar layout of power to outlet to outlet to switch (minus the GFCI protection). Could someone please detail how the 12/3 would be connected between the two outlets? Or better yet, detail the full run from power source to switch? Thanks.

Comment

power to switch

follow this diagram. a two wire will go to the first outlet space with a three wire going between the next two or three or four downstream outlets. the final box has a switch that controls the bottom half of the outlets. if this isn't what you had in mind, use "paint" and correct what you want and re-post. [hayzee]

Comment

This is exactly what I want, but must I break off the tabs in order for this to work? If I leave the tabs on, would the switch control both outlets on all three receptacles? Thanks.

Comment

Switched receptacles

I redrew the diagram. I removed the black from the upper half of each receptacle. I removed the break off tab indication. all outlets and parts will be off the switch.

Comment

Phenomenal. Thank you!

Comment

Hate to resurrect this old thread, but I have a questions about multiple outlets on a switch. I currently have a light switch which is controlling the top half of one of my outlets. The outlet it controls is not in a convenient spot though. There are a few other outlets in the room - is it possible that they are also on the switch, and that all I would need is to remove a tab to activate it? How would I tell?

Thanks!

Comment

I'll draw a diagram but off my head, the switched outlet half may have a red wire connected to it. any others downstream of it should always be hot. if you wanted any of these switched then a red wire from the first outlet should be connected to THAT half of the outlet. Just removing the tab would not accomplish what you want.

Comment

Switched, unswitched

If you have a switch controlling one half of an outlet, then the tab at the outlet is broken off. A black from your hot feed goes on one screw and the switched leg [red] goes to the other screw. From your switch to the first outlet the wire is a three wire - red, black, white. If the downstream outlets are to be hot all the time then a two wire is sufficient. If you wanted the successive outlets downstream to be one half switched and the other half not switched, then a three wire would be run between the successive outlets. All the tabs on the brass screw side would be broken off. Black or red on top or bottom, whichever you wanted switched.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =