Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple tree dying?

I have a mature Crimson Maple in my backyard. About 2.5 years ago it looked fine but it has been getting worse. Now the trunk bark is splitting, there are tons of dead branches, etc. It is starting to bud on many branches so it is not completely dead yet, just looks very thin. Is there something I can do? I do not know why it is dying. A family member told me about Shaklee Basic H. It is a super concentrated cleaner. I guess use a capful in a 5 gallon bucket and water around the base. It will suposidly kill any bugs in the tree. Have you heard of anything like that?

I tried using those tree fertilizer stakes last year twice to no avail.

Thanks

Another thing to think about, many maple trees get what is called a "Girder Root" this is when one main root crosses over the top of another main root and basically strangles the root, causing severe die back in the tree. Look around the area below the tree and see if you can see any big roots that come out of the ground and then back into it, dig a little under the exposed root and see if there is another root under it.
    If you find that this is a problem then ask your local arborist the best root to cut before you just hack into it.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

There are some roots that pop out of the ground. I will check when I get home. If I cut the right one how good of a chance is there of the tree surviving? It is budding but very little, many branches are dead, think it will come back? I can probably take some pics too...

Hmmm, "girder root" showed up 8 results on Yahoo, sure that is spelled correctly?

Thanks

Dan

Comment

Yep, sure is a thing called "girder root"....I found this for you
        Re: Maple Trees
        Thanks for all the help I received on line. I had an arborist come out this week and he showed me what he called a "girder" root that had wrapped around the base of the tree. Also he said that the tree would be dying because of this and I should have it removed. He came back the next day and took it out. I hated to lose it but we saved the other maple by deep root fertilizing it and trying to get the roots to go deeper into the ground. He said that maple trees have shallow roots and will extend out 3 times the circumference of the tree. Since the first tree was so close to the house it was probably better to get rid of it since the roots had almost reached the brick footing.

Hope this helps someone else who needs info on sugar maples!

Comment

Oppps....sorry, my mistake....
          "girdling root" at least one of use knew what I was talking about....lol

Comment

Here's a better explanation

Girdling Roots -- A Problem of Shade Trees, HYG-1139-94

Comment

Great, I will do some reading, thaks.

I dug around 2 roots today and ran out of daylight. I should have some time this weekend.

Any idea on how much it would cost to have an arborist come out and look at it?

I did have time to take a pic, my digi cam is dead so I have to use my phone. Takes a while to get it uploaded to the computer.

On another note...
              I planted an Autumn Blaze Maple last year. It is doing great, however, I am now worried that it is too close to the house and will be a threat to my foundation. It is aproximately 28' from my closest foundation (cinder block to closest point on the perimeter of the trunk). Right now I am guessing the tree is about 14' tall with a 2" trunk. I would hate to move it again. With those specs the root base would need to be greater than 56' in diameter. I assume narrow roots near the end won't do damage? What do you think?

Comment

Yes the end roots will cause no harm at all...UNLESS they find a broken or cracked pipe then it's a whole new story. Seldom will Maples break pipes to get into them, but if there is a leak, then the maple thinks it's "fair game"...lol

Comment

I am not too worried about my water/sewer lines and gas lines. More worried about my cinder block walls. Maples usually have a shallow but very wide root system. My water lines and sewer are pretty deep (I think )

Comment

maple tree

Thanks for the tips. Didn't know anything about this issue with maple trees.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =