Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New small basement window

I am finishing my basement living room and want to replace the original windows with new ones. Menards already had the size I needed in stock (common size I guess), it was a 32 (31 3/4) X18. The old wood window is out now. 3 sides of the opening are cinder block. I can attach a mudsill sitting on top of my block and screw it to my existing floor joist. A screw can then be driven through the window into this piece of wood. I also thought I would put a Tapcon near the bottom on each side of the window. At that point I would spray expanding foam from the inside on each side and caulk the exterior. Does this sound correct, I have never done windows before. If so, what kind of caulk should I use to seal vinyl to cinder blocks? My cinder blocks have a cut slanted edge on the outside. I am going to line the outside of the window to this edge so that water will drain off and not pool anywhere.

Anything else I should know?

Forgot to mention, the window has 3 flanges (sides and bottom). I was told I can just cut these off since I can't screw them to anything. The instruction sheet says to use mortar wash, not sure what that is or if it is needed.

Thanks
    Last edited by DKAudio; 05-04-2008, 10:05 PM.

The "flanges" you are referring to sound like "Nailing Fins" if they have little holes/slots all the way around them that is what they are, they are for new build construction where you use the slots to nail the window into your framing.
    Yes you can just cut them off and use the window as a replacement window with screws like you have mentioned.
    Make sure you use a 100% silicon caulk for exterior use, it will bond with both the vinyl and the blocks.
    Only use window and door expandable foam make sure it's not that "Great Stuff" it will expand too hard against the vinyl window frame.
    Also make sure you use the foam last after the window is installed and screwed in place.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Damn, I started a couple hours before you replied. I needed to get it done because I was going out of town the next day and didn't want the wife home alone without a secure window installed.

I did what I said but used Great Stuff gap filling expandable foam. Hopefully this will be ok. The window seems extremely sturdy and looks great. I still have to trim the foam and caulk. The caulk I bought is for windows and doors. I will have to reply tonight as to what kind it is. I know it said excellent adhesion to all types of masonry, vinyl, plastics, etc. I decided against GE Silicone II because this stuff actually seemed better.

I should have a reply posted in a few hours.

Thanks

Dan

Comment

ok, the sealent is made by PL and is a Polyurethane made for window, door and siding. Resists weathering, paintable, permanently flexable 50 year life.

I used this brand for my front door and loved it. It was so tough, almost like a rubber. Silicones I find will start to come up, fades ugly colors from getting stained, etc. Let me know what you think before I use it though. Thanks

Comment

Yep, I think I know the stuff your talking about.
          As a general rule of thumb when it comes to sealants in a tube you generally get what you pay for, those $1.97 tubes of caulk work about $1.97 and I never buy or use them.

Comment

Actually, the stuff I bought was more expensive than GE Silicone II. It was the most expensive stuff HD had. The tubing is cardboard and cheap which to me is a good thing on an expensive product; less on packaging, more on contents.

You think Polyurethane will be good and last? Like I said, I prefer them to silicone for this application, you ever used them?

PL Sealants & Adhesives

Comment

I've never use the window and door sealant, but the construction adhesive I buy by the carton. I've never had a problem with it especially on sub floors where problem soften occur months down the track. I in the past have used construction LN , I had a problem where three months later it was letting go of the floor joists in more than one place, I vowed to never use the stuff again on sub floors, pain in the butt to fix.

Comment

I in the past have used construction LN , I had a problem where three months later it was letting go of the floor joists in more than one place, I vowed to never use the stuff again on sub floors, pain in the butt to fix.
                Liquid Nails?

Comment

Yes LN = Liquid Nails

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
                    Only use window and door expandable foam make sure it's not that "Great Stuff" it will expand too hard against the vinyl window frame.
                    Also make sure you use the foam last after the window is installed and screwed in place.
                    Where you saying that is could expand too much and buckle the frame? Otherwise, it works fine, right? I knew about being careful of how much to use. I trimmed it off yesterday and it looks great and it sturdy as can be. That foam really holds the window in there like mortar!

Comment

Yes, the "Great Stuff" foam expands a tremendous amount and if your not really careful it will buckle the vinyl windows, I've also seen it used on a new door install where it expanded so much they couldn't get the door back open without shouldering the door from the outside and then it was impossible to close.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =