Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ge Refrig. (freezer drain hole?)

Hello,
    I have a 12 year old GE frig side by side (Model TPX21bRAXABB. I have been having an issue lately of ice forming around the drain hole in the botttom of the freezer. I chip it away, and the next day a block of ice is there again. It almost seems like the water is coming up the drain and freezing inside the freezer around the hole. But that doesn't seem possible. There is a fair amount too, as the hole ledge where the hole is, is solid ice. I thought it could possibly be the icemaker so I watched a cycle and nothing was leaking. And yet I turned off the icemaker overnight and there was no ice at the drain hole. So I am stumped.
    What is tha that drain hole for? and any ideas what is happening here?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Obstructed defrost water drain

** It almost seems like the water is coming up the drain and freezing inside the freezer around the hole. But that doesn't seem possible. **

No it doesn't.

** What is tha that drain hole for? **

To drain defrost water out of the refrigerator cabinet before it can freeze. Automatic defrosting will occur every 6-8+ hours depending on the control system of the appliance.

** any ideas what is happening here? **

I can only think that drain line is either plugged or partially obstructed and not allowing defrost water to drain through it properly. After a defrost cycle when the appliance starts cooling again, any residual water freezes totally blocking the drain hole. It is a common occurrence.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,
      Thanks for the quick reply.
      I don't understand how water from the frig is draining through the freezer drain hole. There is no line or anything from the frig to this point in the freezer. Or does it just sort of happen. Also, seems like an awful lot of water just over night. The whole ledge is filled with frozen water. Was it just a coincidence that when I turned off the ice maker it didn' happen. It does not seem like water could be dropping from the top of the freezer via the icemaker all the way to the floor, especially when I watched a cycle and nothing appeared to be leaking.
      I did stick a fish wire down that drain hole and it stopped at about 6 inches or so. Should I be able to push it further? I assume it leads to the drip pan. Is there a way to get to the drip pan to lokk at it from the opposite direction?
      Thanks again for your help. Your expertise is always appreciated.

Comment

A refrigerator is the whole appliance

** I don't understand how water from the frig is draining through the freezer drain hole. **

I said "refrigerator cabinet" which is the whole appliance. (You own a GE "refrigerator"). I didn't say anything about the fridge (aka refrigerator) *section* of the refrigerator.

** Was it just a coincidence that when I turned off the ice maker it didn't happen. **

You may have just caught it between defrostings.

** Should I be able to push it further? **

Probably not unless it is very pliable. There is an air 'trap' in that tubing something like the "P" trap of a sink, etc. Don't puncture that tubing!

** Is there a way to get to the drip pan **

Possibly from the rear or underneath.

** ... to look at it **

I very much doubt you'll be able to get your eye close enough to see anything visually. The space is usually very tight in that area.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.comFridge

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 05-25-2008, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Well it appears that the drain hole was indeed clogged. I took a 1/4" piece of tubing and pushed probably about 2 feet. Then pushed and pulled several times. since then no more frozen water.

Comment

** since then no more frozen water **

Glad to hear it, thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =