Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joist length

I have 16 foot joists running across my ceiling. Below that there is a wall I want to remove. Do I need to sister any new joists for extra support. I don't think it's a supporting wall. There are joists running across the basement ceiling from wall to wall in the same manner as my other ceiling joists. the basement has no inner walls

I guess that depends if the joist are one continuous length, not two eight footers joined in the middle. sitting on the wall plate.

Comment

Speaking of removing a wall that supports ceiling joists. I did a repair project for a guy that did just that, removed a small wall that just so happened to have the joists joints (only over this wall) resting on the wall. he checked to see if the ceiling joists were continuous from the attic, problem was, he only looked where the joists were in fact continuous. There was no wall below in that section of the room, so he assumed all was good to go, all went well until he tried to pry off the small walls top plate and dragged 1/2 of his ceiling into the room ... messy .... messy .... messy
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by ryandebny View Post
        I have 16 foot joists running across my ceiling. Below that there is a wall I want to remove. Do I need to sister any new joists for extra support. I don't think it's a supporting wall. There are joists running across the basement ceiling from wall to wall in the same manner as my other ceiling joists. the basement has no inner walls

I don't have a real clear picture in my mind about what you are doing.
        But,
        16' Is a large span. You will need to see how wide your joist are.
        Lots of older homes used 2"x8"x16'. These will sag. Sistering may help. But really you should have some support perpendicular.

You could cut them and add an LVL flush mounted. With joice hangers on both sides of the LVL

Comment

you don't see it much but a truss ceiling [floor] is the way to go for real long spans. I wired a house in Massachusetts where the first floor had a truss floor that spanned a 36 foot area. the trusses were on a 16 inch spacing between trusses. all the weight of the floor is spread out along the top plate which in turn distributes the [mean] weight to the bottom [floating] rib.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =