Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Fly Bug Bite

I got bit by a black fly two weeks ago. Two days after the bite my arm swelled up and I had a red spot about the size of a half dollar. I put on it a drawing salve called Ichthammol with a bandaid. I did this for three days and the swelling went down. Here it is two weeks later and I still have a sore with a scab on it. When I scratch off the scab there's no bleeding but a red pimple. If I squeeze it it starts to bleed but not profusely. I wonder how long it will take this thing to heal? I read that the bug injects a fluid that inhibits coagulation and doesn't puncture the skin but cuts it with a chisel shaped incisor. [mouth parts]

Fly's don't physically bite, they, as you mentioned inject a chemical that basically breaks down cells, they then suck up the created fluid and digest it.
    So the bite you feel is the fly grabbing hold of your skin and injecting you with an enzyme to break down the cells and turn them into a goop they can suck up.....bad bad baaaad thought.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Bug bite...

Two years ago something flew out of the wife's garden and down the front of my shirt. A real quick bite near the base of the sternum and it was dead with a quick swipe. Sure wish I kept the remains, as that 'bite' turned into a giant pimple/cyst/boil whatever you want to call it! I considered going to the hospital about it, when I thought of the old hot pop bottle trick. Well, it did suck it out all right. I put it on a slide and it looked like a pale worm that had several tentacle, hair like items 90* to it's 'body' at one end. The thing was almost pencil lead diameter and shy of an 1/8" long. There's still a small red mark from it. Have no idea what that was. Sure hope yours is nothing like this, HayZee! If your arm is still swollen, it may be time for some serious antibiotics....

Comment

First of all you should avoid scratching or breaking the bite blisters. Try applying Bite Rx, it is very effective...if the swelling persists, see a physician.

Comment

bug bite....

Dang. Wish I'd've known that a year and half ago!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =