Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotted Porch Floor Repair

My back porch is covered but still catches rain on the west side. The 5 outermost floorboards were rotted so much that my kid put his foot through one of the boards. I found some extra decking that was left in the garage by the previous owner so I tore up the rotted boards and am prepared to install the good ones.

When I tore up the old boards the joists were covered by tar paper. I'm a complete novice in this area but it seem to me that the tar paper was holding in whatever moisture leaked through the decking. Should I replace the tar paper or leave it as is. The foundation is poured and it's about a 4' deep hole underneath and the decking is tounge and groove so there's not a lot of ventilation once water seeps through.

Thanks.

the tar paper is acting as a vapor barrier. yes I would replace the tarpaper or rosin paper with a new piece.what you might do if you have the equipment is bore a few holes through the concrete -or- the "fascia" board and put in a few circular vents to relieve the moisture in the "hole" they needen't be large, a hole about an inch and a half will do. something to think about. the newer flooring is all about 3/4" thick. the "old" style which IMO was better and they still sell it is 5/4 flooring. basically it is a tongue and groove board about 2 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches thick.

Comment

Thanks Hayzee. I see you're in St Regis Falls. Do you know of anywhere that I can find the "old" style. I'm looking for the finished end board that does't have the tongue. I tried Lowes in Plattsburgh but no luck; all other Hardware stores are closed on Sunday.

I suppose I could do it with a table saw but I don't own one. Maybe I can convince the wife that I need one.

Comment

call Ward Lumber, Haselton Lumber in or near Jay, all of the renovations and new construction in Lake Placid get their stuff from Haselton. Try that place on where route 73 intesects route 86 kitty corner across from the convenience store.

Comment

Gotcha, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =