Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Panel of Garage Door Buckling

Hi everyone!
    I saw the post about buckling a little way down...but I have a specific question.

The top panel of our garage door is buckling....we expect that the previous owners did not install a metal stud in the top panel. Can anyone explain to me how to install this steel stud? We have the materials...just not sure how to go about it!

Thanks in advance!!!

I would suspect the ends bolt into the vertical members and the door pop rivets to the horizontal stud.

Comment

top section reinforcement

The top section of every garage door with an operator should have a strut. This is a U shaped piece of steel with flanges that you fasten to the section on each end and at each hinge location (approximately every 3-4 feet). Where you find the hinges there is typically some type of reinforcement underneath the skin of the door if there is steel on both sides otherwise the stiles become obvious. typically we use a self-tapping screw to fasten a strut to the door, one on top and one below at each location mentioned above. If you door is already buckling you may need a new section, and or I would recommend two struts on the top section, 1 above the top roller fixtures, the other above the hinges along the bottom edge. You would benefit by having another srut at the top the section next in line down the door as well.

Ryan
      Last edited by gdoorpro; 07-08-2008, 04:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by swtsarita View Post
        Hi everyone!
        I saw the post about buckling a little way down...but I have a specific question.

The top panel of our garage door is buckling....we expect that the previous owners did not install a metal stud in the top panel. Can anyone explain to me how to install this steel stud? We have the materials...just not sure how to go about it!

Thanks in advance!!!
        I would check a couple of things on the operator as well, the closing and opening force as well as the limits.

The bending of the top section is common when the operator is trying to push the door PAST the ground level and when the force is set high the door wont reverse. Have this happen every day for a couple of years, and yeah that top section will start to kink and in time, buckle and break.

CHEERS

-Ian

Comment

Working...
        X
        =