Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempt to move side of fence out?

Hi all. I have a fencing project where Im planning to widen the fenced in back yard, extending one side of ~ 100ft long fence out 18-21ft (patio project, ect.. to give more room basically). Yard is fairly well graded, so Im not too worried about gaps underneath where fence plank may be sitting on a hill. Anyone ever attempted a feat like this before?

Fence Description

-8ft sections, 6 feet high at center. Composed of 1/2'' x 6'' x 6''
    -3 2x4 supports
    -Concave , 5 ft at posts
    -1 8ft gate
    -14 posts

Plan (1-2 more bodies helping over 1-2 day period):

1. Knock off fence boards at each post, allowing access to 2x4s. Not bad, took all of maybe 30 minutes, which including labeling each board.

2. Choice here,
    1. either knock off all 8 ft sections, label, move posts, recemt, put everything back on.
    2. Move individual 8 ft section with posts attached
    3. Get new posts, not having to worry with having to get other fence posts buried at right height, ect.. Move each individual section.
    4. Others?

I put in a stockade fence a while back - the sections came pre nailed in panels with three 2X3 stringers. I used 4X4X8 posts. I measured the distance between stringers and rabbetted out notches in the 4X4s with a circular saw and a chisel. Then made a "storypole" for digging the post holes so I'd be in the ballpark. I didn't used concrete for most of the posts just where the gate was going. where I was going around a corner, I notched out two adjacent sides of the 4X4 to create a ninety degree angle for the stringers. the stringers fit into these notches quite well and screwed the stringers to the posts. where the bottom of the fence encountered high ground I just used a sawzall to follow the contour of the ground, cutting about two inches above the ground contour. When it was all put in I used the circular saw on its side and lopped off the posts to a suitable height.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =