Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken inside window pane

My son broke the inside glass on his bedroom window. It is a double hung window.

I know that replacing the glass isn't a do-it-yourself thing- but I presume I will need to remove the window to bring it to a glass shop. I have never removed a window and I am not sure where I even begin.

Any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If it's a more modern double hung window then your task is a really easy one.

Open the window a few inches then at the top of the window on either side of the lock you will see two little pieces of plastic that slide in to wards the lock. Slide both these to wards the lock (in wards) at the same time and also at the same time gently pull the entire top part of the window (bottom section) out just a little, once you are clear of the window frame you can let go of the sliding latches. You now should be able to lay the window all the way down (like your going to clean the outside). Lay the window down to about 90 degrees, once you have done that, holding the bottom section of window that is still in the window frame tracks move the right side of the window up, keep moving the window up on the angle until it disengages the window frame. once this side disengages pull the other side out.

Presto, your window should be out.

To replace the window, do exactly the reverse. Holding the window with the left side lower sit the left side into the window frame on it's guide, then move the right side of the window down to catch on the higher side window catch. Once both sides are in their respective guides move the higher side (should be the right side) of the window down until the window is again level, then simply tilt the window back up and press it back past the upper latches.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I guess maybe it isn't modern enough because I am not seeing anything like that. I will take some pictures.

Comment

OK, took some pictures, maybe this shows you more of what I have,,,

abacuselearns/broken window - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

My apologies, I assumed these windows were vinyl double hung.

Open the window a few inches, holding the top and bottom of the window try to move the entire window (bottom window/broken one) to the left or right, if you feel movement look to see if you can pull the window out from the frame on the opposite side, sometimes these windows have springs built in on one side to retain the window.

Failing the above working you may well be looking at a glass repair on site.

BUT

Before you go getting someone out, look at the cost of a new vinyl replacement window. At a guesstimate on your size window it looks to be under $150 for a whole new vinyl double hung. If you can use a hammer, pry bar and caulk gun, we can walk you through the replacement directions, to replace the window should take about 30 minutes and a 3 out of 10 difficulty level (1 easiest....10 hardest)

Comment

Yeah- well I can hammer and pry with the best of them... so that is likely the route I will go. I am pretty sure these don't come out easily- I have already pretty much tried what you said, because that was how I thought they were suppose to come out. I will try again- but I think I will probably wind up replacing it.

Should I go to Lowes or Home Depot for a replacement window or somewhere else? What info will I need- just the dimensions?

Thanks...

Comment

Unless you are a contractor getting a window from anywhere other than Lowes or HD might be difficult.

What you will need measurement wise no matter where you go is the following, you will need to measure the furtherest areas of the window frame. In your pictures you can see the little window stops that allow the panes to slide up and down. You need to measure the opening inside these. When measuring the height you want to measure from the top to the inside edge of the sill.
              When you remove the panes and stops all else stays in place and the window (replacement ) screws in place.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =