Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox and spell check

Okay, I gave in and installed "Firefox" as my new internet browser, my problem comes in when I try to install spell check, it keeps coming up "unable to install due to incompatable program. Anyone have any ideas ?

PS....gotta say....I'm liking Firefox much...MUCH better than IE.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Is this spell checker part of firefox or an independent program? I never went that far into firefox but the newest upgrade just came through last week. windows xp has a screen that has compatibility between win xp and stuff meant for win 98 and win 95

Comment

I'm an idiot...I got it worked out, there is no "abc" on the tool bar, it just under lines the words and you right click on the misspelled word for the correct spelling or substitutes.
      Maybe not as convenient as IE but none the less effective.

Just in case anyone else needed to know.

Comment

Are you kidding me? I like lead pencils, yellow wide ruled paper and the U.S.Postal Service better than I.E.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup View Post

Are you kidding me? I like lead pencils, yellow wide ruled paper and the U.S.Postal Service better than I.E.
          Haha! Made me laugh.

pushkins, I think you'll find that Firefox is more stable, secure, and has more useful features than IE.

Lazypup, What do you have against lead pencils and wide ruled paper?

Comment

Yep, Firefox is much more stable a platform than IE but then again Arctic Ice is more stable than IE....lol

Comment

firefox is great! now, try to get rid of ie from your machine. it can't be done! there's so much that functions off ie even when you're not connected to the internet. just make sure that firefox recognizes itself as the default browser.

Comment

Firefox is great, look at all the add ons, some real good ones out there...
                Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Cooliris and piclens are 2 of my favorites. Cooliris lets you preview a link in a smaller window, and piclens lets you view a whole series of pics in a really cool viewer. I can pull up a list of fishing pics and let my 5 year old daughter see them all and enlarge the ones she likes best, then go back to the list of them. She loves it.

Comment

Something else for you "real old computer" geeks. There was a time when you could use that "print screen" key on your keypad. [right next to the Scroll Lock key] It would take a snapshot of your on screen page and print it. Well after much searching I found something similar. It's called PRINT SCREEN. Just download the 750K program and use it. anything you have on screen, anywhere at all, choose print screen and it will print it.

Comment

Firefox is way much better then IE. Switched to it a long time ago and never felt this was a bad decision. It has a great number of plugins available for all your needs.

Comment

Firefox and Spell Check

I have not had access to my computer since 12-30-2008 because on that day I was advised by Microsoft that "apparently" I was using an incorrect product key number for the Windows XP program - installed by the local computer people less than two years ago. It just would NOT function. So, apparently, the hard drive had to be cleaned - or whatever. I asked them to PLEASE save many of my files - apparently they did. Hopefully, this time they used the correct product key number.

I also asked them to install the FIREFOX program - because I had "heard" it was a better access route. So, they installed the FIREFOX program.

My computer system was returned to me on 2-3-2009 - so I am working out all the bugs.

I had asked them to "save" the "Favorites" listing - they did - it is now accessible on my desktop via an icon. What to do with it???

At the top of a Firefox page - I see a tab - BOOKMARK -
                        and when I click on that I get a drop down list that does not seem to be connected to such as the "favorites" listing from IE.

I see - Bookmark this page - Subscribe to this page - Bookmark all tabs - Organize Bookmark - Bookmarks toolbar - Recently Bookmarked - Recent Tags - Get Bookmark Add-ons and Mozilla Firefox.

Is this at all related to such as a "favorites list"?

I believe I have found a way to "use" the "favorites" list - I bring-up my providers' home page - reduce it to put at toolbar - then at the desktop - I click on the "favorites" icon - and there - find the site I might want to go to - double click it - (forgot how I took it to the address bar at the provider's home page) - no matter - it seemed to work.

As I have been putting this together - I remembered that I had purchased my previous computer reference books from Alibris - maybe I should check with them to see if they have anything on using the Firefox program.

If anyone has any bright ideas - I would be most grateful.
                        Thanking you, in advance - Sunshine

Comment

firefox can "import" all your "favorites" from IE.

Comment

Open Firefox, click on File and click on Import (third from the bottom) this will import almost anything and everything into Firefox.

Comment

Firefox and spell check

This may end up being a repeated submission - if so, I apologize. I just about had the entry completed when I apparently touched the space bar by mistake and my entry disappeared. So, I will try again.

First of all, in my earlier entry (2-5-2009) I had indicated that I was not all that certain how I had utilized the "favorites" icon on the desktop. I am very clear on that now. First I access the "connection" to my provider - not that home page. Once I have the "connection" - I double click on the icon for the "favorites" and find the page/site I want to access - I double click on the entry and that brings the site up on the screen - showing the name at the top of the screen - followed by "Mozilla Firefox".

After preparing that earlier message (2-6-2009) - I found the Firefox support page and found a considerable amount of material available. I printed out what I thought might be helpful. And did not look at those print-outs until this morning.

And using some of that data - I "found" the "favorites" listing -

At the Firefox page - I clicked on "VIEW" - then "SIDEBAR" and then "BOOKMARK - Ctrl B" and that put a window to the left of the screen - listing options that I will look at another time. No matter, this morning - at the very bottom of that listing I saw "From Internet Explorer" - I clicked on that and it presented a total list of the "Favorites List" from the Internet Explorer.

O.K. the next thing I have to figure out is - if I delete that icon "Favorites" from the desk top - will that delete the entry that now appears at the Mozilla Firefox site???

I truly cannot understand the "bookmark" function - I have attempted to bring-up different options, but right now it just does not come together.

I know that when I am at a website and click to close it - I receive a small window asking - "Do you want Firefox to save your tabs for the next time it starts." I am given the option - "Save and Quit" - "Quit" and "Cancel" - I always check "Quit" because I don't know when it would go.

I want to thank HayZee 518 and Pushkins for their input -

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =