Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Wall Paper from Drywall

When my house was bulit the builders applied the wall paper directly to the drywall, no paint or primer. I want to remove the wall paper and paint instead of reapplying wall paper again. Any suggestion on how to get the old stuff off with out damage to prevent being able to paint? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

I have repaired many walls that were horribly "disfigured" trying to remove wallpaper where the walls were not primed. I've only done a couple of jobs removing paper myself (mostly my own house) and have had mixed results. And I will not contract another removal job...... I have searched around and you might look into a product called Wallwik (wallwik.com). Claims to be the only way to strip wallpaper (don't they all) and is sold at such places as Sherwin Williams, so I would expect it has it's merits. I just don't think anything will work on raw sheetrock without damage. Might be worth trying though.
    You might consider painting over what you've got. Prime with Kilz, skim the seams with joint compound. and paint. If the paper has a texture you will need to glaze coat the entire surface with a coat or two of mud to smooth it out. Best of luck

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you for your feedback. I figured I have my work cut out for me. We have already removed some as it peeled off easily though it left the "backing of the paper". At least I am not dealing with a textured paper so it's just a matter of either removing or covering up what I do have. Again thank you!

Originally posted by bjbatlanta View Post
      I have repaired many walls that were horribly "disfigured" trying to remove wallpaper where the walls were not primed. I've only done a couple of jobs removing paper myself (mostly my own house) and have had mixed results. And I will not contract another removal job...... I have searched around and you might look into a product called Wallwik (wallwik.com). Claims to be the only way to strip wallpaper (don't they all) and is sold at such places as Sherwin Williams, so I would expect it has it's merits. I just don't think anything will work on raw sheetrock without damage. Might be worth trying though.
      You might consider painting over what you've got. Prime with Kilz, skim the seams with joint compound. and paint. If the paper has a texture you will need to glaze coat the entire surface with a coat or two of mud to smooth it out. Best of luck

Comment

Thank you for the advice. The good news is the paper isn't textured so at least that's a plus. I've already removed sme of the paper as some of it peeled off very easily though the backing is left. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to make it work - even if it means ultimately re-papering.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =