Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace cycles on/off before reaching temp

I just moved into a house in Los Angeles that has a gas-fired forced air heating system on the roof. The problem is that the system cycles on and off (sometimes in cycles only a minute or two long) before reaching the set temperature. I'm a first-time homeowner so I don't even know for sure whether this is unusual, but it sure seems so. The result is that it takes a very, very long time for the system to heat up the house. And it seems incapable of heating it any hotter than 70-71.

(I should also say that I have no way of knowing for sure when the *heating element* is on -- I only know when the fan is on, because I hear it. But I assume that the fan runs when the furnace runs. I did try leaving the fan on all the time to see if that helped, and it didn't.)

As a new homeowner I am covered for a year by some kind of appliance insurance policy and a guy came out and replaced the thermostat (the new one is a White-Rodgers). Alas, he didn't stick around long enough to make sure that solved the problem, and it didn't.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Best,

Greg Thompson

If you just someone come out to fix it and they didn't call them back out.
    Does the furnace run for a long time then cycles through some shorter cycles before it runs a long time again?

quote:Originally posted by GregThomp

I just moved into a house in Los Angeles that has a gas-fired forced air heating system on the roof. The problem is that the system cycles on and off (sometimes in cycles only a minute or two long) before reaching the set temperature. I'm a first-time homeowner so I don't even know for sure whether this is unusual, but it sure seems so. The result is that it takes a very, very long time for the system to heat up the house. And it seems incapable of heating it any hotter than 70-71.

(I should also say that I have no way of knowing for sure when the *heating element* is on -- I only know when the fan is on, because I hear it. But I assume that the fan runs when the furnace runs. I did try leaving the fan on all the time to see if that helped, and it didn't.)

As a new homeowner I am covered for a year by some kind of appliance insurance policy and a guy came out and replaced the thermostat (the new one is a White-Rodgers). Alas, he didn't stick around long enough to make sure that solved the problem, and it didn't.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Best,

Greg Thompson
    GH

Comment

I have called for them to come back. I just want to have some idea of what I'm dealing with.

In answer to your question, I'm not really sure. This morning the furnace did run for a longer than usual time before cutting out, I think. Still, it only raised the temperature from 62 to 63 before bailing.

Since I changed the airfilter I *think* it is also running somewhat longer.

Someone in another forum said the problem was probably a dirty flame sensor -- a common problem, apparently.

Hopefully, we'll find out.

Best,

Greg T.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =