Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to outlet

One outlet on a circuit does not have power. The outlet was previously working. All other outlets on the circuit have power. I tested the wires after removing the outlet and no voltage. How do I find the problem?

You need to find out where the power comes from that feeds that outlet. Its most likely a outlet on either side of that outlet. Just make sure you turn off the breaker before hand. If thats the last supple on that line then a wire is not makeing contact in the outlet before it. If you find other outlets passed that outlet thats working them replace the bad outlet.

Please, kill the power first then use your ohm meter to test the circuit. If no ohm meter, replace the outlet.

Comment

Check for wires stuck in the back of the receptacle. This is called backstabbing and is likely the culprit.
      The problem will be in the last working, or the first non-working receptacle.

Comment

The Next Step

There are no wires sticking in the back. So, I assume it must be a loose connection upstream. How would I find the upstream outlet. I don't have a wiring diagram of my house. Do I turn off the circuit and check one outlet at a time?

Comment

outlet

How many wires leads are on the outlet 3 or 6?. and do you have a meter?.

Comment

Found the Problem

Talking to you about this reminded me I replaced a switched on the same circuit recently. Sure enough, I removed the outlet cover and found a loose wire. Now I just have to figure out how to wire that all together properly.

Thanks for you help.

Comment

It's good to know you've found the problem. Good luck with the wiring.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =