Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter Round to Baseboard Transition

I have quarter round in the corner to transition where some cabinets come out from the drywall. What would be the best way to transition this quarter round to the top of the exisiting baseboard?

Last edited by DKAudio; 09-26-2008, 07:18 PM.

With a coping saw cut it out to fit into the baseboard. Same as you would for crown molding.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

You can also cut the trim at a 45 degree angle or a closed 45 measured to the top of the baseboard like you are going around a outside corner but the next piece of trim is cut at the backside of the 45 and the trim stops at the wall. A lot of times the trim under a window sill is cut this way instead of just cutting the trim off square, it lets the profile of the trim continue and deadend into the wall. To cut the second piece you cut the board at a closed 45 like you are going around a outside corner the cut it square where the 45 degree angle meats the back of the board. This piece is then glued in place

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
        You can also cut the trim at a 45 degree angle or a closed 45 measured to the top of the baseboard like you are going around a outside corner but the next piece of trim is cut at the backside of the 45 and the trim stops at the wall. A lot of times the trim under a window sill is cut this way instead of just cutting the trim off square, it lets the profile of the trim continue and deadend into the wall. To cut the second piece you cut the board at a closed 45 like you are going around a outside corner the cut it square where the 45 degree angle meats the back of the board. This piece is then glued in place
        Sorry not following.

With a coping saw cut it out to fit into the baseboard. Same as you would for crown molding.
        The problem is the baseboard is already pinned and caulked. I was hoping I could have the quarter round stop at the top of the baseboard somehow. I guess I may be able to get some smaller quarter round that would look good stoping on the top of the baseboard.

Comment

would it look too icky to use a colored silicone caulk to fill the gap? I understand where you're coming from. www dot rockler dot com has several decorative mouldings in their catalog.

Comment

The quarter round pictured is 3/4". I had a little 1/4" quarter round scrap that I tried and it looks good. Since it is so small the transition still looks nice and it doesn't stick out on top of the baseboard much at all. I will just pick up a full length piece of 1/4".

Thanks for the help.

Comment

If you have a "contour comb" a tool that has hundreds of little pins that you push up against the molding to get a transferable contour then you can mark it out then cope it to suit.
              OR
              cut on an angle the 1/4 round so that it meets with the same thickness as the top of the base molding. You can adjust the cut to make it be as little or as steep an angle that you like the best. Then if you want to be even trickier, with a sharp Stanley knife or a good small wood chisel scoop out the center to make the 1/4 round sit on both sides of the base trim.

OR

get two pieces of 1/4" molding nail them together to form a 90 degree and then nail this into the corner. The 1/4" should be very close to the size of the top section of the base board. I've even seen a thick bead of caulk added to the inside of the 90 and then smooth out gently with your finger to give the impression of custom made molding. (makes it look like cove)
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =