Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling on the Poulan is getting old.....

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling on the Poulan is getting old.....

I have a Poulan chainsaw (Farmhand Pro, model 295) that is about to become a boat anchor. This saw kicked butt since new in 2004, but no more.

I got ambitious and was all set to tackle a cutting project, so I broke out the "trusty" Poulan. After fueling up with fresh gas/oil, (which I always drain if the saw is to sit 2 or 3 months) I began with a shot of ether, switched her on and it was downhill from there. After the third pull I kept cool and tickeled the choke a bit. Fire and die, fire and die.

From here, I saved energy and began the overall checks. Spark, (the trusty "grab the plug wire" method) ouch, it has spark. Checked the plug for fouling and gap, checked for compression, (scientific method of "finger in the cylinder")...it blew it out. I proceeded to check the air filter even though I always keep it clean and the in tank fuel filter which is free flowing.

After "gently removing" the well intentioned limiter caps from the hi and lo fuel adjustments, I began an attempt to dial in a satisfactory mixture.....best I could do was achieve a decent idle, relatively crisp throttle response, but never made the triumphant rpm horsepower it used to have.

Hours later and three little crappy four inch soft wood logs, my elbow and shoulder had enough. Start, adjust, start adjust...I could have cut more wood with a spoon and burnt up less energy!!

Any thoughts?? Sharpen the spoon and dump the saw in the lake??

What the???

Chainsaw help...

Here's a great site for anything logging...there's a section devoted to chainsaws. It operates similar to Home Repair Forum. Good people there that help each other....
    The Forestry Forum
    Join that forum, post your issue and you will get the help you need.
    Good luck...
    Captain Bob.

Comment

Thank you Captain Bob...

I will proceed to the forum you have kindly referred which specializes in logging "issues". Possibly the Poulan may see the light of day once again!

I thank you mrcaptainbob for your assist!!

Whatthe???

Comment

I do small engine repairs here in new york. I've changed out parts on weed whackers and some engine stuff. The primary needle valve is turned out 3 1/2 turns for a start point for idle mixture. In a pinch cardboard roughly .040 in thickness will do as a gasket. The back part of any engine is plastic with a gasket. this is the rear of the engine and has the crankshaft inside it. the two stroke engine is basically a diesel engine with a spark plug. I replaced the ignition coil on two dissimilar machines with good results.MTD is a good source for parts.

Comment

Don't these things have an impulse pump that pumps the fuel to the carburator? It usually is a tube that comes from the crankcase to carburator pump.
          Sounds like your not pumping fuel.

Comment

the back pressure in the crankcase is where the fuel/oil mix goes.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =