Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velux Skylight, Sprung Me A Leak

12 year old 60" or so Velux skylight, I have 5 of em. Just recently one shows me it sprung a leak somewhere. I haven't gone up there but it was dripping in pretty good during a fairly light rain. Not driving not pouring, just a North Country no wind drizzle. It isn't condensation, been there done that found the mouse holes in the insulation that caused it. It couldn't be a homeowner screw up as I got these put in by a pro working on the side who works mostly on Mc Mansions ( the real ones). He does this stuff in his sleep. This seemed pretty steady like it was pooling at the bottom or the window and dripping right through a hole. Of course I then noticed a bit of blackened area in one of the corners indicating dry rot. Thats gonna get some fiberglass bondo once I dig it out but that isn't the problem. Anyways this rot starts at the top of the inner wood framing just under the glass in a lower corner which me thinks should rule out any roof compromise around the flashing right? This was first noticed yesterday but obviously has leaked a tad for a long time to rot. So before I go tie the line aroune the hitch on the truck so I don't get pitched off there and go climbing what should I be looking for exactly.

Leak

Sounds like the immediate fix is "roof caulk" a tar like substance available in a caulking tube.

Comment

Posting is more than three years old. I doubt you'll get any callers to this thread.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =