Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweating concrete

I live on the Gulf Coast. I have a carport with a concrete floor. The floor sweats badly when the weather changes in the winter. That is, when it goes from cold to warm. The floor is at least twenty five years old. I do not want to pull it out. Is there some coating I can apply? I have considered some form of decking to get the foot traffic and automobile up off the concrete. Suggestions?

Cold concrete meets warm moist air = sweating floor.

What is the real question: is the floor slick and hard to walk on? Do you track water into the house?

You would likly need to warm the floor to really eliminate the sweating. A thin coating of say epoxy will not stop the sweating. If you build a raised wooden floor you may trap moisture under the flooring resulting in mold.

If you are thinking about indoor outdoor carpet I suggest you get a square yard sample and lay it on the floor for a few days to see if it cuts down on the thermal transfer. At the end of the test look under the carpet to see how much moisture has accumilated there.

In the end is it really worth the effort of trying to solve?

Helping you come home.
    Newnan Georgia home inspectors and Thorough Inspections realizes that the purchase of a home is probably the largest and most exciting investment you will ever make. It is difficult to remove any emotional attachment you may have for a home due to it's location, style, setting, etc. A home inspection will help you learn as much as you can about the property you are considering buying in an effort to help you make a more informed decision as a buyer.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =