Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminate flooring problem... peaking?

Hey folks. I'm new around here, but it seems like a great resource, so I figured I'd go ahead and throw this out there...

I moved into my house about a year ago, and the previous owner had recently put down laminate in the kitchen area. About 3 months ago, a section (just one seam between two pieces) starting separating a little. It was nothing major, and I blamed it on the Tennessee humidity combined with an assumed lack of 'give' under the quarter round on the wall.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago, when I noticed the problem was getting worse - see photos for current state. Simultaneously, I noticed that the washing machine was leaking. There was a small puddle next to the machine, and I have no clue how long it had been there. You guessed it - the laundry closet is just a few feet from the problem. In fact, the feet of the washer are sitting on top of one piece that is causing some of the prob.

Well, I fixed the machine leak, and hoped that letting the floor just dry out would fix my laminate woes... it hasn't happened yet. I haven't moved the washing machine out the way, but I'm guessing the pieces wouldn't just reset themselves anyway.

I know nothing about laminate, including how to fix this. I understand there are a few different styles... but I don't even know if this stuff is 'locked' in or glued down. Also, I don't know what the brand is or where it came from... so if I have to replace these pieces, I'm a little concerned about matching. This page calls the problem 'peaking' and suggests a fix. ... but I'm not really sure what spacers are in this context.

Any advice on the next step to take? (besides asking the wife to Swiffer before I take pictures next time...)

Thanks!
Working...
X
=