Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water sealer and temperature

I just installed a new front porch on my house. I purchased Thompsons Water Sealer and planned on applying it last week. While reading the instructions I saw that it should not be applied if the temperature would dip below 50 F for 48 hours after the application. The problem is that those conditions only exist for maybe 2.5 months out of the year where I live. I'd have to wait until the end of next June before I could apply the sealer. I certainly don't want to leave the wood unprotected until then. Does anybody have any ideas on a way to protect the wood until I can apply the sealer? Is there any other type of sealer that doesn't have similar temperature restrictions? The only idea I can come up with is to apply the sealer and use heavy black plastic as a "tent" over the porch with a electric space heater under the porch. Is this just a crazy idea or would/could it work?

Thanks for any advice/information!

Try Cabots (available at Lowe's I think they are a little more flexible.
    The plastic tent idea is a good one, provided you can cover the entire area, I'm not sure at this time of year if you would need the space heater as the ambient temp. should climb enough to keep it above 50F
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the information. We don't have a Lowes here in town but are traveling to another town this weekend that does. I'll check out the Cabots.

I would only have to use the space heater at night as the daytime temps are in the 60s but nighttime temps are in the low 30s...last week they were in the teens as a cold front moved through.

Thanks again.

Comment

I was able to stop by a Lowes. Cabots does sell a product, ‘Australian Timber Oil’, that does not have the 48 hour temperature restrictions. I picked up a can and hope to apply it soon.

Comment

Not a fan.. Cabot will leave most decks with a "muddy" look and "flair" the grain out. The other downside no year rating, or warranty. You decide but I like years on the can at least a warranty on the can and a product that leaves my wood as natural as possible even if a color is your choice. Most exterior stains you need warmer temps. I know I am late on this I am deployed to Iraq right now.
          55 is the lowest temp i am aware of unless you are using a low temp cure product. Any product that is true oil based will not be a low temp product.
          Latex and some modified oils will go down to 35 degrees.
          Just a recommendation for making your deck look great.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =