Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooper combination switch/gfci

Hi,

I have a similar issue as the other switch/gfci question below...I didn't want to hijack his post though.

So my issues is that I am able get power the the outlet but can't seem to get any power to the switch/light.

I have three wires coming into the box...

1 - black and white - from the fuse box
    2 - black and white - going to the light socket
    3 - black and white - powering the outlets/lights in the next room

So far I've tried piggy backing the 1 and 3 and attaching it to the hot tension in line section. Then wired the light to the switch output wires. The outlet and adjoining room had power, but the light and light switch didn't have any power.

Then I tried puting 1 into line hot tenion, put 3 into the load charge hot tension, piggy back the two white wires and put them into the load charge hot tension, and then wired the light to the switch output wires. This set up yield no power any where.

The switch I am using is a Cooper Shock Sentry combination switch/gfci.

Any help would be great, and simply diagrams would be even bette...lol

Thanks,
    P

The switch part of this is just two wires. These two wires are just like the two screws on a regular switch. They are NOT powered internally.

First, splice all three whites in the box to a white pigtail and connect that to the silver screw on the GFI.
    Then splice the two blacks (from the feed in and feed out) to one of the wires from the switch and also a black pigtail, and connect that to the gold screw.
    Then splice the other wire from the switch to the black going to the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
      The switch part of this is just two wires. These two wires are just like the two screws on a regular switch. They are NOT powered internally.

First, splice all three whites in the box to a white pigtail and connect that to the silver screw on the GFI.
      Then splice the two blacks (from the feed in and feed out) to one of the wires from the switch and also a black pigtail, and connect that to the gold screw.
      Then splice the other wire from the switch to the black going to the light.

Ok, for clarity sakes let me see if I understand what you're telling.

First piggy all of the white wires and attach them to the silver "line" screw.

Then splice the black wires from 1 and 3 to one of the switch output wires, and have a second piggy of from 1 that goes to the brass "line" screw.

Then the remaining switch output wire should be connected to the black light wire.

is this right?? does it matter what output switch wire I connect to 1 for power?

Comment

Originally posted by pdubbu View Post
        Ok, for clarity sakes let me see if I understand what you're telling.

First piggy all of the white wires and attach them to the silver "line" screw.

Then splice the black wires from 1 and 3 to one of the switch output wires, and have a second piggy of from 1 that goes to the brass "line" screw.

Then the remaining switch output wire should be connected to the black light wire.

is this right?? does it matter what output switch wire I connect to 1 for power?
        Yes, it looks like you've got it.
        No, it does not matter which switch lead you use.

Comment

Hey Speedy....just wanted to let you know that your advice was perfect and the light and switch work perfectly....THANKS!!

Comment

Great!
            Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Awesome Job, Speedy Petey

You saved me some serious time. I purchased the Cooper GFCI with a switch. The instructions in the box did not explain the product wiring but you did!

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =