Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Floor Drain Smell

I'm sure this question has been brought up before but I looked through about 20 pages of the forum and didn't see anything so I thought I'd bring it up again.

I'm a first-time homeowner. We moved into an older home (1920's) last January. We hadn't had any problems until a month or two ago when it started smelling terribly when we run the washer. The odor usually subsides after a load or two. The washer drain hose is looped up and over the edge of the utility sink it sits next to (was like this when we moved in). The utility sink is quite old (solid concrete) and the faucet has a bit of a leak and there is a dehumidifier that drains directly into the floor drain as well. Any help?

Does it smell before you start to wash or during the first load ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

other than being a bit musty from some leaks from storms this summer there is no apparent smell until the washer is actually running.

Comment

older houses circa 1920 had a floor drain trap. you may want to have the trap cleaned out if you can find it. look for a four inch brass or cast iron cap near the floor. because it is in the floor somewhere pour in some liquid plumber. if it was anyplace else I'd say NOT to use a drain cleaner.

Comment

Tried various drain cleaners and build-up removers to no avail. I think I found the trap you were mentioning over in the other corner near my water meter. I'll see if I can't get that cracked open and cleaned out one of these days and let you know if that helped. Thanks, again, Hayzee for all your help throughout the forums. Making the first-timer here to the website feel welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =