Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure if shower pan is correct

I've just seen the cultured marble shower pan installed for my walk in shower and am not sure if it is installed correctly. After reading articles it seems as if the "pan" should have more side to it. All I see is the cultured marble base with a thin vinyl side that only comes up about 3/4 of an inch. Is this enough for tile to be sealed against?

3/4" should be plenty for a good water seal once it is tiled over. The lip only protects from a pan filling with water, and that should never happen.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

when I custom installed my shower pan [roughly 3 foot by 5 foot, my membrane extended 6 inches up each sidewall and the tile went over that with waterproof adhesive. three quarters of an inch is kinda chincy.

Comment

Is the vinyl attached to the marble or was it installed separately> (I read that it was all part of the base).
        If it was installed as a separate item under the marble base, then yes 3/4" is not enough.
        The last marble pan I saw was actually sitting inside a plastic liner that had a 3/4-1" lip (all in one) and installed in one step. The backer board goes on over the liner then tiles over that.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

shower/tile

take a look at this diagram. this is the way my shower is constructed. It is standard 2X6 framing. Floor is 2X10s. Two pieces of 3/4" MDF on top of the floor joists for support, screwed into the joists. Joists are 12 inches on center. the drain is a standard 2 inch with a bolted flange for the waterproof seal for the membrane. Membrane is 2 mil blue plastic [feels like rubber] The base is a dry concrete pitched towards the drain and pounded into place. The membrane is stapled to the studs. Corners are "hospital corners" internal and glued with contact cement and stapled to the studs. they are also hammered tight against the studs with a block of wood to make it as flat as possible. Cement board goes on top of that and is screwed every 12 inches along the studs. Quickset mortar is between the dry concrete and the floor tiles. Waterproof adhesive holds the wall tile in place. 3/4 the way up I have 2X12 inch bullnose and bullnose on the room side of the curb.

Comment

Thanks for the help

It does appear to be sitting in the liner. Hopefully this is the correct way with no leaks for many years to come.

Comment

The pan should go just above the curb.
              I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
              Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
              Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
              Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =