Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water problems

I am currently attempting to put a bathroom in a space where there has never been a bathroom. I did the pluming and I thought the worst was over. I installed the toilet and it is leaking from the bottom by the floor (not the tank). I have looked at it from all angles and I don't know what to make of it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by eatonj25; 11-11-2008, 08:11 AM.

did you install a wax ring between the toilet and the pipe flange?

Comment

toilet leaking out bottom

I assume you used a wax seal. It is also important that the toilet flange be at the proper level, that is, not to low or to high in the floor. This assures a proper gap between toilet and flange so it will seal properly without them touching. You also might try warming up the wax seal before installing. In cold weather they do not form a good seal sometimes. Also, foreign material on the flange or toilet prevents sticking and sealing of the seal.

Comment

according to lazypup, our resident plumber, the bottom of the closet flange should be flush with the bathroom floor and screwed into the floor. this will allow the flange to be slightly above the floor to allow the wax seal to seal properly. the closet bolts hold the toilet to the flange.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =