Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside air

We replaced our old gas furnace (1973)with a new one. When they installed it they put a vent bringing air in from outside. For years we never had this in our basement. Is this really necessary. The air outside is 10 degrees? Does it seem strange to have to heat this cold air? Also they placed a vent in the side of the furnace which blows hot air out before even hitting the ducts to come upstairs. Is it o.k. to tape over this, since I don't really want all that hot air wasted in the basement. Thanks, Cindie

Cindie; Some new furnaces of to-day do use combustion air that is piped in from outside. This VENT that was placed on the side of the furnace must of been put there for some unknown reason.You say its on the Side of the Furnace? and blows hot air? What size? It would be interesting in finding out the reason why it is there.... This is usually a NO-NO. NEITHER a supply opening OR a Return opening should be in very close proximity of any GAS furnace. Why don't you call the installer and get a reason for this. After many years of installing,etc i would also be curious about this . Let us know how you make out. Hube

Comment

i remember that the heater in my parents house and the one in my old house had a vent right at the top of it where the duct work all split off, but they had a way to close them. i always thought that it was to help keep your basement a little warmer so your floors didnt get too cold.

nate

Comment

Cindie

The cold air run that resides next to your furnace was put there to allow for combustion air to burn. New codes make this a mandatory installation. Since houses are be built tighter and tighter to keep out the outside air "IAQ" (indoor air quality) you are required to put in this make up air pipe.

The premise is that if you were not to have one "make up air" or a "sealed combustion system" you could possibly use up the available oxygen in your home causing at the worst death! Keep in mind that fire/flame burns oxygen.

As for the register that was put on the side of your duct work is there for a few reasons...

It allows warm air to be put into the basement to aid in warming the area. (what little you lose is insignificant)
        In the summer it allows for dehumidification.
        Some times put in to relieve static pressure to allow your furnace to run more efficiently.

Hope this will answer your questions.

16x80

Comment

The Poster (Cindie) mentioned that; "there is a VENT placed on the SIDE of the FURNACE, before even hitting the ducts". Normally a vent (register) is placed further away on the side or bottom of the supply DUCTWORK. NEVER on the unit itself, and NEVER in the immediate area of the furnace. Also, static pressure is essential in allowing a stystem to operate properly, and if the static is too high,because of a improperly designed duct lay-out, this can be rectified by adjusting the CFM (fan speed - rpm) and NOT by putting in a extra vent on the furnace. Hopefully, Cindie will have this installer give an explanation as to WHY this "vent" was installed on the side of the unit. Good luck, Hube

Comment

Working...
          X
          =