Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reparing Hole in Garbage Disposal

Hello! I recently discovered a small (say about the size of the tip of a pen) hole in the side of my disposal. Of course, water is leaking out every time that side of the sink is used. Until we can get a new disposal, is there anything I can put on there for the time being? Maybe some plumber's putty or waterproof joint tape?

Thanks in advance!

You might be able to use some liquid weld, basically it's a two part epoxy that you mix together and then apply over the hole, it can be used in engine blocks to repair stripped threads and then re tapped, so I cannot see why you could use it as a temporary fix on the disposal.
    It's available at most big box stores and auto shops , comes under different names like Jen Weld, Epoxy Weld...etc.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks, Pushkins! I'll give it a shot.

Comment

marine weld is another option, either way it must be applied to a clean dry surface, and for best results make sure it gets good penitration of the hole, even if it means making the hole a little larger.
        aquarium silicone can also be used for a short term fix.TAZ
        nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.

Comment

Epoxy putty/Home Depot

Oatey No. 31270D, 4 Ounce Epoxy Putty - 31270 at The Home Depot

Comes in two-part tubes. Mix the parts together with gloved hands and apply it. Hardens in minutes.
          Dan

Comment

Let's get real. If the disposal is old enough for a hole to have corroded through the body, then the grind chamber is likely in similar degraded condition. The likelihood is that you are putting a lot of very coarsely shredded food into the drain line. Clog to follow soon.

Let's say you have a typical Badger 5 model. It has ( had ) a 2 year warranty, and a reasonable life expectancy of about 5 years. Where are you in that picture?

Comment

Working...
            X
            =