Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotting front door jamb repair

I have a problem and I'm not sure how to attack. I've never done anything with replacing door jambs or trim, and I'm not sure I want to screw this up since it is the front door of the house. I have a metal front door with glass on either side equal to the height of the door. The wood on the base of the door jamb is rotting through from water damage. It is also working its way to the indside part of the jamb. Should I replace the entire jamb, or try to just piece meal it together. If I replace the entire jamb, will I have to cut the areas in the jamb for the door hinges. This is what's making me worry. Can I buy the jamb as one piece, or do I have to cut one myself? Sorry for being long winded, but I need to get this fixed asap. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

the door jamb or casing is usually one piece on both sides with the top piece fitting in notches cut or rabbetted into the two uprights. the recesses for the hinges are factory inserted using a router but you can use a chisel if you are careful. the threshold which I believe you are referring to be rotted is affixed to the floor after the door jamb is installed. if the threshold is rotted then the floor board and the bottom plate is also rotted which will need replacement. to effectively replace this you'll have to investigate how far out from the threshold its rotted. this may require removing some of the siding

Comment

The threshold is aluminum, so it should be ok. I don't think the wood underneath has been affected. I was just woried about having to remove the glass next to the door jamb. Thank you for your help.

Comment

ok, I wasn't sure what you meant. Now its clear. glass panels in a wooden frame on either or both sides of the door jamb. what you might do is take out the first panel and substitute a piece of luaun panel. then go to work taking out the lower portion piece by piece. Piece the replacement into place but before you do the install treat the wood with a product called PENETROL. This will soak into the wood and prevent water and dry rot. Soak the stuff into the wood until it will hold no more then let it dry and then paint it with an oil base primer and finish.

Comment

You can always cut out the rotten part and replace just this piece.
          For example if the rot is say from the threshold and up 6" , cut out this piece in clean wood about an inch above the rot is good, then using jam that you can buy from Lowe's or H.D replace it and the brick mold with either wood or PVC (they make it just for this purpose), caulk the joints and paint. Job done.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for your help. You guys have given me a place to start. Wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =