Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt backup sump pump

I have a Zoeller Basement Sentry Series Model 507 pump installed in my sump pit along with the regular Zoeller Sump pump. I moved into to this house about 2 months ago and was just recently reading the info on the back up pump. It says to test the backup pump every 3 months to assure it still works correctly. Last night I tried to do that. I unplugged the regular sump pump and the backup pump battery charger and began dumping buckets of water into the sump. After numerous buckets of water and no activation of the backup pump, I got a flashlight and looked into the pit. This back up pump is mounted into a tee on the 1 and 1/2 inch outflow pvc and is actually slightly above the lower part of the tile drain pipe that drains into the sump. If I am looking at it correctly, the sump would have to fill with water all the way up to the tile drain (water inlet to the sump) and then back fill this pipe and the tile before water in the sump pit would ever get high enough to kick in the back up pump. This does not seem right to me. Once the tile starts backing up with water, won't that create a problem? I took the cover off of the sump pit today and I see no way the backup pump could be mounted any lower and still clear the top of the main pump. Am I seeing this set up all wrong or is the backup as installed virtually worthless?
    Thanks,

I looked at the zoeller site and from what I saw, the back up pump won't kick in until the water level in the sump extends up [above] the ac pump and the level causes the dc pump's float to actuate. there is no specs for measurements from the bottom of the ac pump body to the float assembly for the dc backup pump. but from the looks of things and visualizing what you have, the dc pump will be well above a 5 gal plastic bucket. almost looks like the [pumps] should be mounted in a sump hole four feet deep.

Comment

I agree with you totally. And thanks for checking this out. My concern is that the actual DC float level is slightly above the bottom of the the drain tile pipe that dumps into the sump pit. Thus the water would have to fill the pit and then the tile around the foundation before the sump pit would acutally fill enough to kick on the dc pump. Maybe that is the way it has to be, but me not knowing anything about this, thought that the dc pump should have been plumbed where it would kick in slightly before the water could enter the drain tile pipe. However the pit is not deep enough for this in my opinion. Hard to explain - I know.
      Thanks for the info though.

Comment

well from the looks of things there isn't enough room to have both pumps in the same pit unless the pit was 2 foot across. both pumps suck from the bottom screen and out to the standpipe.

Comment

To me, it looks like the dc pump is not worth a nickle. It is plumber via a tee in the discharge line just above the ac pump with a check valve in between them. Not much you can do with the set up. A licensed plumber installed it so I guess I will just have to assume it is done correctly as I am by no means a plumber. Thanks Hazee for your input.
          Ron

Comment

The way it is installed is normal, the pump is mainly for emergency use and the main reason for them is to keep the basement from flooding and they do work as long as you keep a eye on the battery. Backing up into the drain tile wont hurt anything but if the basement is finished I would install an alarm in case both pumps fail

Comment

Thanks for the info. You have any recommendations for an alarm/alarm system?
              Thanks!!

Comment

I cant remember who makes it , but check with a local supply house and they can set you up. It sits on the floor next to pit and if water comes up out of the pit it sets the alarm off

Comment

I found that you can make a simple alarm for water. a wooden clothes pin [spring type] two screws a battery, some wire and a buzzer.
                  Think simplicity not complicated! make the thing by drilling holes in both pieces of the spring type clothes pin. put a machine screw in both with a nut on the outside so that both screw heads touch when the clothespin is shut. attach a wire from the battery [ 6 volt lantern battery] to one side of the clothes pin with another nut. attach another wire from the other terminal of the clothes pin with a nut to a 6 volt buzzer. one more wire from the buzzer back to the other terminal of the battery. Now for the TECHNICAL part. put a non coated regular aspirin between the terminals of the clothes pin. put the clothes pin where water normally collects. when the aspirin tablet melts the contacts close and set off the buzzer.

Comment

Wow, HayZee, you are a genious!! - - except I use Excedrin for headaches and have a clothes dryer.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =