X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Side By Side not Defrosting

I have a GE Side by Side Model NO
    GSS22IFPCWW

The compressor seems OK but the freezer is not defrosting. I read on several posts that I need to clean the defroster coils out. Where do I find the coils on this fridge to clean or blow dry?

Would appreciate any assistance.
    Last edited by jinxedup; 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Clarification needed

Originally posted by jinxedup

GE Side by Side model GSS22IFPCWW... the freezer is not defrosting.
    How do you know that? (ie. what are the *exact* symptoms)

Did you inspect the evaporator coil for a frost build up? What is its exact appearance?

I read on several posts that I need to clan the defroster coils out. Where do I find the coils on this fridge
    That would be 'clean the condenser coils' but would have absolutely nothing to do with a defrosting problem. It instead would only cause reduced cooling ability (without frosting) and longer compressor run times.

You can read how a refrigerator's defrost system is suppose to function at the following link:

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan
      Thanks for your response. The symptoms are that food is not freezing completely (Some of the meat is soft) and that there is a huge build up of frost in the freezer. I cleaned up all the frost yesterday and there is a new build up today. Most of the frost buildup is in the bottom part of the freezer and the back panel of the feezer.

I didn’t inspect the evaporator coils. I was hoping somebody could direct me to where I could find them and what I should look for. Basically I don’t know where they are located
      Last edited by jinxedup; 12-22-2008, 04:50 PM.

Comment

More thorough description needed

Most of the frost buildup is in the bottom part of the freezer and the back panel of the freezer.
        What exactly do you mean by "in the bottom part of the freezer"?

Frosting on the back panel inside the freezer is often a sign of a defrost problem but can be caused by other things as well. That is why actual inspection of the frost pattern on evaporator (cooling) coil is needed.

Frosting on the other walls or shelves is not likely the result of a defrost problem. The defrost system is responsible for defrosting the evaporator coil only.

I cleaned up all the frost yesterday
        You cleaned up just what was visible without any disassembly of the appliance?

Unless you did that by totally defrosting the appliance (ie. unplugging or turning it off for 12-24 hours *with the doors open*) just removing frost on visible surfaces will do little to alter the condition. The important build up will be on the evaporator coil itself.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan
          First of all thanks so much for your patience.
          What exactly do you mean by "in the bottom part of the freezer"?
          I mean the bottom shelves of the freezer. The top shelves appeared to be quite warm while the bottom shelves were cold with frost buildup
          That is why actual inspection of the frost pattern on evaporator (cooling) coil is needed.
          Could you let me know where the coil is located so I may inspect it. I removed the aluminum panel on the bottom and bottom of the fridge and I didn’t see any coils. I only saw some kind of motor that I did clean. Could you let me know where the cooling coil is located?
          That’s correct. I cleaned up the visible frost from the back panel of the freezer
          I would appreciate it if you could let me know where the coils are and what I should do to get to them so I can inspect and if necessary defrost them.

Comment

I mean [frosting on] the bottom shelves of the freezer.
            Frosting on shelves is not usually caused by a defrost problem. Frosting on surfaces (besides the rear wall) is most often caused by air leakage into the cabinet. That leakage could be the result of poorly sealing door seals, through a malfunctioning ice dispenser door mechanism and possibly other things as well.

The top shelves appeared to be quite warm while the bottom shelves were cold
            Either whole compartment should basically be the same temperature top to bottom. Differences between top and bottom of the same compartment is usually cause by poor air flow... for whatever reason.

Could you let me know where the coil is located
            Behind the panel at the rear inside of the freezer compartment, beneath the fan motor. The page I linked to previously ("How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?") showed a picture of an evaporator coil exposed in a SxS refrigerator with its cover panel removed, under the page heading 'Refrigeration System Problems'.

what I should do to get to them so I can inspect and if necessary defrost them.
            I can not tell you exactly what is required to remove the evaporator cover panel on your model, sorry. There are likely at least some screws around its edges.

I cleaned up the visible frost from the back panel of the freezer
            There will be much, much more behind it.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
            Last edited by Dan O.; 12-23-2008, 04:58 PM.

Comment

OK, it's froze up! Thaw it out! Remove all contents and wrap in blankets etc. Turn off freezer. Let it thaw for 12-24 hours. Make sure the drain at bottom is open. When everything is thawed, drained, and dry, plug it in. It will probably work!
              Don't try to chip ice away. Let it all melt and then you won't have to worry about where it is. You can damage things by chipping away! I've found that you need to totaly defrost a freezer like this every year or so or you'll have some kind of problem.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =