This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool refrigerator compressor

I have a side by side Whirlpool refrigerator about eight years old. I assume the compressor has went out when it try to come on it will hum for a second or two then cut off. What I think is a heat resister that plugs into the compressor gets hot at the bottom next to the red wire. I hooked up direct to the compressor it still just hums & the compressor gets hot. Is there anything besides the compressor that would give me this problem. Thank you

Model number?

Originally posted by Dennis Meyer

I have a side by side Whirlpool refrigerator about eight years old.
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number.

Forum Notice LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

I assume the compressor has went out when it try to come on it will hum for a second or two then cut off.
    If the compressor is getting power but not starting, there could be a problem with it or its starting relay and overload protector.

What I think is a heat resister that plugs into the compressor gets hot
    The relay and overload usually attach directly onto the compressor. If the overload is tripping, it will usually get hot.

I hooked up direct to the compressor
    Please explain exactly what you did.

Is there anything besides the compressor that would give me this problem.
    As stated above a problem in the compressor, starting relay or overload protector could all prevent the compressor from running.

BTW. Do not allow the compressor to continue to click on and off (ie. try to start but fail to do so). When it occurs the fridge should be turned off or power disconnected for 10-15 minutes to give the compressor a chance to cool. If the compressor doesn't start right up when plugged back in, leave it off until the problem can be found and corrected or damage to the compressor ($$$) could result... if it isn't already the cause of the problem.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 12-26-2008, 12:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Whirlpool

(I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number.)

Thanks for the reply. It is a Whirlpool model no.gd25dixht00 serial no.sk3548029.

(The relay and overload usually attach directly onto the compressor. If the overload it tripping, it will usually get hot.)

What i was thinking is a heat resister must be the relay & overload protector it does plug into the compressor.

(Please explain exactly what you did.)

I unplugged the wires from the relay & connected them straight to the compressor.

I have unplugged it & left unplugged for several hours did the same thing.

Thanks for the help.
      Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Meyer

It is a Whirlpool model no. GD25DIXHT00

... must be the relay & overload protector it does plug into the compressor.
        You can see the replacement relay and overload kit for that model at the following link. It may be of slightly different appearance than the original.

LINK > Whirlpool GD25DIXHT00 Relay/Overload Kit

One particularly problem prone original relay type can be seen in the attached image below. I don't know if that might be what was originally used on yours.

I unplugged the wires from the relay & connected them straight to the compressor.
        It is not a good idea to bypass any part of an appliance, especially if you do not know what function it performs. Hopefully doing so didn't damage the compressor (and a failed compressor isn't the cause of the problem either).

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

My parents have a Whirlpool with similar issues, is the relay a common failure?

Our GE did the same but it required a whole control board to be replaced, a common failure on that model.

Whirlpool Side by Side.

Model Number ED25UExHWoo

Serial Number SK3045596

Purchase Date: Nov. 1, 2000

Comment

Originally posted by HRK

My parents have a Whirlpool [Side by Side Model Number ED25UEXHW00] with similar issues. Is the relay a common failure?
            The compressor starting relay is a common failure point on all makes and models of refrigerators, yes. Even more so if the original is the white colored one shown previously or the appliance or home it is in has been experiencing lots of power outages, power surges or brownouts common in poor weather this time of year.

LINK > Whirlpool ED25UEXHW00 Relay/Overload Kit

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks I'm going to ride up there today and pull the fridge out, if that relay is there we'll order one and I"ll replace it....

Comment

Thanks for the help with my compressor problem. I replaced the relay & the compressor is running fine.

Last edited by Dan O.; 01-01-2009, 08:46 PM. Reason: See other message for the new problem discussion

Comment

Compressor running

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                  Last edited by Dan O.; 01-01-2009, 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Same here put on the new relay last night and she started working

THanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HRK

put on the new relay last night and she started working
                      Glad to hear it apparently wasn't a compressor problem ($$$). Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =