Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting ceramic tile

Hi.
    I have ceramic tiles as a backsplash for the stove. I'm replacing the stove and would like to do something about the tiles. i like the idea of tile, just not the brown color they currently are.
    I've "googled" the topic and found a few suggestions but wanted to know if anyone here has tried painting ceramic tile before and if so, any tips?
    Thanks!
    Kpstr

Yes, they can be painted, but the paint required is a two part epoxy mix, this makes it difficult to apply if your a novice. It's best applied via a spray unit.
    It is typically used in bathrooms where tile removal is cost prohibitive for the client. It has a great bond with the tiles but doesn't handle well with any rough abrasives or abrasive cleaners.
    It should be thought at a short to med term fix. For such a small area it might be the same price to re tile the area.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

paint tile . sure .. its not a problem

two part epoxy is a great choice but not necessary

first.. lightly sand the tile. and wipe away dust with a damp cloth
      second use a oil bonding primer. important step. great ones are Pittsburgh Seal Grip, oil based BIN primer from Zinnzer are just a couple of great ones. Oil is best because of two reasons. one it penetrates further than latex and two it drys by interlocking pulliing it tighter to the surface to prevent peeling.
      Paint using a latex semi gloss or high gloss, yes latex over oil gives a great bond . just make sure you paint before the primer has been on for more than 48 hrs.

hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =