Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag dishwasher bottom spray arm doesn't turn

Model: Maytag Jetclean DWC7602AAB

I washed a jar in the dishwasher without completely removing a label, and of course the paper (it was a homemade product with a cheap paper label) clogged the works so that the lower spray arm's pressure dropped to an unacceptable level. Using the following schematic:

Full Diagram | SearsPartsDirect.com

I took the thing apart down to part #15, reassembled in reverse order, and fired up. It seemed to work fine, nice pressure and all, but the dishes weren't being cleaned.

I investigated. I'm now soaked, but I was able to determine that the lower arm isn't turning. There's a LOT of water coming out, but it doesn't move. Turning by hand I can turn it freely, it spins like a top.

I wondered if part #1 needs to go in a certain way - it sits oddly, sorta loose and wobbly, but it doesn't come out at least.

Is there something I might have missed? Or some way to diagnose the issue without filling my kitchen floor with water?
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

at repairclinic dot com there's a blown up diagram that ISN'T model specific but explains some of the components of a dishwasher. your sears model has a list of spare parts and pricing. I noticed a few seals and gaskets used in your model. maybe you forgot a seal for the lower spray arm.

Comment

the lower arm isn't turning. There's a LOT of water coming out, but it doesn't move.
      The spray arm's holes or elsewhere???

It sounds to me like a lack of water pressure through the arm... for whatever reason.

I wondered if part #1 needs to go in a certain way
      Can it be installed more than one way?? It should go with the 'vane' side down just as seen in your illustration and in the following photo.

Or some way to diagnose the issue without filling my kitchen floor with water?
      Some technicians hang a sheet of 3-4 mil clear plastic over the door opening while bypassing the door switches to watch actual operation. It keeps most of the spraying water inside the machine.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
      Last edited by Dan O.; 01-04-2009, 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
        The spray arm's holes or elsewhere???

It sounds to be like a lack of water pressure through the arm... for whatever reason.
        I thought so too, but with the door cracked to observe the action, I had water spraying a good six feet away.

Can it be installed more than one way?? It should go with the 'vane' side down just as seen in your illustration and in the following photo.
        Okay, good there.

Some technicians hang a sheet of 3-4 mil clear plastic over the door opening while bypassing the door switches to watch actual operation. It keeps most of the spraying water inside the machine.
        Wonder if I have an old storm window downstairs...

So, it's purely water pressure that turns the arm? No motor or anything like in a clothes washer?
        Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
        Mark with a crayon
        Cut with an axe.

Comment

I had water spraying a good six feet away
          Yes but from where???

I said, "lack of water pressure through the arm". If water is squirting out of the housing etc. and never making it to the arm, it could have lots of pressure but released ineffectively.

it's purely water pressure that turns the arm?
          Right, but actually going through the jets of the arms.

No motor or anything like in a clothes washer?
          No, like an old fashion lawn sprinkler (see image below).

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X
          =