Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidifier Motor Clicking Noise

I noticed a clicking noise when my furnace humidifier was running with the furnace. I checked it out and it seemed that the motor for the drum humidifier itself was clicking. I figured simply replace and it should be okay (bad motor?).

I did that, got a new one and installed it, but the same clicking is still there and the motor doesn't actually seem to turn.

Any ideas?

the motor it seems is driving a spring loaded clutch of some sorts to the belt. maybe the belt is jammed some place

Comment

RE: Humidifier Motor Clicking

The motor is directly connected to the drum for the humidifier when operating, there are no belts.

I thought perhaps the weight of the drum was causing part of the problem, so I tried running the motor with the drum off. Still the same thing, the motor doesn't really turn and the clicking is constant.

Could it be a power supply problem?

Comment

I'm trying to figure out what clicking noise you are referring to. the motor is an open type fractional horsepower type? can you get a picture up?

Comment

RE: Humidifier Motor Clicking Noise

Sorry, I wasn't able to get a picture up over the weekend, but I did a little investigating to see if the power source was the problem.

I'm not sure, as I'm not very familiar with low-voltage AC. When the furnace is running and the wires are not connected to the humidifier motor, the Voltage reads at 24V (normal).

When the humidifier motor is connected to the low-voltage wiring, the voltage when checking at the connection points reads at only 10V - is that what is supposed to happen?

I'm wondering if there is something funny with the power that is causing the motor to not operate as it should.

It is a 1.2RPM motor, but when connected (and clicking) it only turns a little less than 1/2 turn per minute.

Comment

it seems odd that the motor voltage would drop to 10 volts. but you measured it. the rpm sounds right evidently its a gearhead motor. 1.2 rpm is slow but that's the gear ratio. that clicking you describe may amount to slippage inside the gearcase - metal - nylon gears. you could check into grainger supply for a fractional hp motor with a 1.2 rpm gear train.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =