Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseboards and flooring transitions

At our back entryway, the floor is linoleum that transitions to carpet - flat...1/2" tall metal edge...carpet.

How do I handle the baseboard at the transition point? (I figure to just use shoe molding on the lino, not the carpet, so that's not at issue.)
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

The shoe molding should stop right at the edge of the carpeted area.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I understand that you want to install trim baseboard over two surfaces of different elevation?
      If this is the case, what I have done is to "rip" the base trim approx. 1/4" to 3/8" inch in the higher flooring area (eg carpet area).. This effectively gives you a "notch" to compensate for the higher flooring area.... use a hand saw to cross cut and finish off the area where the lower surface and carpet meet. This will allow one piece of trim to cover both surfaces and look good.

Comment

Okay, that's a start.

Originally posted by yooper View Post
        I understand that you want to install trim baseboard over two surfaces of different elevation?
        If this is the case, what I have done is to "rip" the base trim approx. 1/4" to 3/8" inch in the higher flooring area (eg carpet area).. This effectively gives you a "notch" to compensate for the higher flooring area.... use a hand saw to cross cut and finish off the area where the lower surface and carpet meet. This will allow one piece of trim to cover both surfaces and look good.
        Ok, I thought of that, so here's a follow-up: the trim, once on the carpet, continues on around the room, meeting at two corners. So is all the trim that runs on carpet ripped to width? Or do you slowly taper the rip out over the course of several feet?
        Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
        Mark with a crayon
        Cut with an axe.

Comment

whatever height you get on the carpet, use that same elevation all around.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =