Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulate raised porch Floor

Hello,
    I have a covered porch (or sunroom) that is about 30" off the ground. The room is was constructed on a basic deck. 2x10 platform with plywood top surface.

The room gets very cold. I am hoping to insulate the floor in an attempt to extend the usable season. After insulate I plan to skirt the sides to keep out the wind.

I was thinking of using regular pink insulation. But have many questions..
    - is this even the right product for the job? if so what R value should I be looking for
    - I would be insulating between the joists from below. What would hold the insulation in place? (Plastic, plywood..?)
    - Being technically outside, do i need to worry about protecting the insualtion (damp, rain, rodents etc..)

My reading tells me that spray foam is a solution, but I am trying to do this myself on a low budget.

Help!!
    Cam

Spray foam would possibly be the best solution as it takes away the "rodent" issue.
    In your case you need R19 insulation (pink bats for example) these are held in place by a friction fit, your joists should be either 16" or 24" on center so buy the appropriate size bats. You also need to get insulation wire, these are sold in boxes of 100 for about $8.00 these jam between the joists to help hold in place the bats.
    You would be very wise to add 6 mil, plastic to the crawlspace ground to stop moisture getting into the insulation.
    As well if it were me I'd be enclosing the sides, if you do this make sure you either have air gaps between your cladding or install vents to allow air movement.

Just a thought...this porch has a roof ?......is the porch area water prrof ?......the pink bats wouldn't be appropriate if this area in any way gets rain water or garden (sprinkler) water.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

thanks Pushkins,

The room itself is totaly enclosed and weathertight livingspace. Currenty the bottom of the joists are open to the elements (30" above ground).

If I used Batts and wire to insulate, I am worried about rain/snow/wind damage to the insulation. even with skirted sides the underside would not be weather tight.

I was considering using batts, then adding a layer of plywood to the underside of the joists to help hold it in, and keep the elements away from it.

Comment

If you use the plywood make sure it's exterior approved. (ACQ , ACC or the like)
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =