Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace water circulator pump/motor making noise

Hello,

I have a problem with the water circulator pump and motor attached to my furnace. Every so often the motor begins making a rattling or ticking noise. I have lubricated the pump, so I know that is not the issue. When I close the water valve the sound disappears. The noise sounds to like it is coming from the motor, which is an Armstrong. Any suggestions on how to stop the noise? It is audible through the pipes and is very annoying.

Thanks,
    Trevor

WATER RECIRC PUMPS ARE MEANT TO BE INSTALLED IN CERTAIN POSITIONS. horisontal or verticle etc. anything in between is not permissible.

Comment

What model armstrong pump

Comment

The model of pump is an Armstrong 819110-001.

Comment

I cant find that model number on there web site but I will continue to look. If its the style that the motor and the pump are seperate there is a coupler inside that has two springs that connect the pump motor to the circulator shaft these will fail and will make a ticking sound, or if the bearings are going out they will cause noise too

Comment

The motor and pump are separate, connected by four large bolts. If the coupler has failed can I easily replace it? If the bearings are worn, what is the corrective action?

Comment

The 4 bolts if they screw into pump body the housing will get bigger where it bolts onto the motor take a flashlight and look inside the slots and thats where the coupler is located. The older ones have two half moon shapes that are held onto the motor shaft and the pump shaft by allen screws and they are connected by 4 springs that way when the motor kicks on the springs absorb the impact. Usually the springs break and you loosen the allen screws and unbolt the motor, dont remove the impellor housing because there is a small gasket that will be damaged if you do. Normally if the bearings are going out it will start to leak water, after the motor is removed try to move the shafts from side to side if there is excess play the bearings are starting to go. Some of these pumps cost over 800.00 dollars so take your time and dont damage it

Comment

Circulator pumps

Does the circulator look like any of these two?

Comment

The pump looks like the first picture (red one).

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =