Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW dishwasher question...

That is to say, the question is new. The dishwasher is used.

The question of spray arm water pressure has been rendered moot by the gift of another dishwasher. This one is not without its issues (coming in a minute) but at least it washes dishes!!!

It is a Kitchenaid KUDR01TJ, stainless steel interior. All in all, a better machine than what it replaced. (As a side note, I'm curious to know how old it is. Is there a way to tell off the serial number?)

The new machine needs one repair, though I haven't determined what that is yet. The symptom is that the heating element doesn't work. Without that, the machine will not run an automatic cycle.

Near as I can tell from the documents, it uses the heating element to heat the water to {holy-crap-that's-hot} degrees to sanitize the dishes, and without that it just runs and runs and runs waiting for the water to reach the right temperature, which never happens.

Two questions, then.

1. Is there a way to bypass that so the machine will run the full cycle automatically? I've read through the manual, and it doesn't look like it, but there's always hope someone knows the left-handed method.

2. How do I figure out whether the problem is the heating element or some sub-system that controls the heating element?

Thanks!
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

the element's electrodes come out the bottom of the tub. clips some alligator clips to them and read with a meter. use an amprobe to see if there is a current draw when the machine is operating. my dishwasher which is a different brand then yours only heats the inside of the tub AFTER the final rinse. It does not heat the tub water.

Comment

Model number incomplete

KitchenAid [dishwasher model] KUDR01TJ
      That model number is incomplete by 2-3 digits at least. Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag? That is the only place the complete information will be found.

the heating element doesn't work. Without that, the machine will not run an automatic cycle.
      Often it would only affect cycles using a water heating function (sani, pots and pans, etc.) or when a specific heat option ('temp boost', heated dry, etc.) was selected.

Is there a way to bypass that so the machine will run the full cycle automatically?
      Only by selecting a cycle that didn't use a heat setting, like maybe 'quick wash'? (if there is such an option on whatever model of dishwasher it is).

How do I figure out whether the problem is the heating element or some sub-system that controls the heating element?
      The element and (at least one) thermostat connected in series with it should be able to be tested for continuity to see if they're good or not. Testing whether the control itself was responsible would likely be more complicated.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

I'm curious to know how old it is. Is there a way to tell off the serial number?
      Usually yes, but won't be in a readable form. The service at the following link can often determine it.

LINK > Appliance411: Date Code Search

JFYI

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =